Keith Law is not impressed (in 2012, but he is in 2014)

Burg

‎Fair point all around. I do think people confused "ability to repeat ridiculously good record in one-run and extra-inning games" with "ability to be good again." as it turns out, we haven't done the former (although we are still quite good in those situations) but we have certainly done the latter, in spades.

Something I've said before. The distribution of wins was the fluke, not the wins themselves. Modifying the one run game record and keeping all else static isn't really a valid methodology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly? I don't see how this year's team sheds any light on an opinion from 2012.

It doesn't. But I just dislike Keith Law and his methodology in general. He always takes the most hedged, most conservative possible position. He typically grants undue favoritism to the big-market teams, giving them the benefit of the doubt, in a situation in which he would be pooh-pooing the Orioles were they in the same spot. It takes a blindingly obvious division clinch for him to admit that the Orioles are good.

What use would weather forecasters on TV be, if they told you what the weather was yesterday? That's how I see Keith Law. Except that he's slightly bias towards predicting rain clouds over Baltimore, in the rare few times that he says something truly adventurous about what might happen in the future.

Honestly, the guy doesn't bother me that much. I just loved the photoshop of that picture so much that I had to come back and find it when I remembered it. I understand and accept that so-called pundits on the four-letter network are going to pander to the fans of the big market teams. I mean, maybe that would change if we had a whole decade of winning, but they move very slow and cautiously before they start embracing a team in their forward-looking statements. And when in doubt, praise the Dodgers and Yankees, because money money money.

It doesn't. But I just dislike Keith Law and his methodology in general. He always takes the most hedged, most conservative possible position.

I would say that is both true and false. Most "metric" guys are probably going to take a conservative view because, to them, it's just math. The numbers show X, so X is the best answer to go with.

But Law's positions are usually very different from what you see on ESPN or the MLB network because he is an advanced metrics guy. So they aren't really conservative compared to his counterparts.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I don't have either MOY ballot, but if I did, I'd take Showalter in the AL and Bochy in the NL.</p>— keithlaw (@keithlaw) <a href="

">September 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hater! Buck obviously deserves MOY in both leagues.

Archived