Is Cal a former Oriole or Yankee?

MachadOboutManny

The premise of this post is silly. Do you really think there's an army of secret Cal haters on this board, just waiting to unfairly jump on Cal for any reason? Generally, I have always loved Cal - but the past two games, listening to him, I have gotten the biggest dose of her personality ever. And I ain't liking it. He doesn't sound like the kind of guy I'd want to sit next to on a long flight, that's for sure. Sorry, I respect what he did on the field, for the most part. But... maybe he just needs to do his thing in Aberdeen and kinda ride that into the sunset.

No one made a claim about a secret army, someone suggested Cal likes the Yankees better than the Orioles. It is silly at best. Now, if someone suggests Cal isn't a great analyst in the booth, I can go with that, but he isn't a Yankee fan.

-Don

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The premise of this post is silly. Do you really think there's an army of secret Cal haters on this board, just waiting to unfairly jump on Cal for any reason? Generally, I have always loved Cal - but the past two games, listening to him, I have gotten the biggest dose of her personality ever. And I ain't liking it. He doesn't sound like the kind of guy I'd want to sit next to on a long flight, that's for sure. Sorry, I respect what he did on the field, for the most part. But... maybe he just needs to do his thing in Aberdeen and kinda ride that into the sunset.

I live in Aberdeen, and other than for his baseball camp, he's rarely here. Folks around here, that know Cal, have grown to not hate him, but have said he's forgotten where he's come from. Aberdeen had a parade for him once, and he didn't even show up for it. Folks can talk all they want about Cal staying and signing for fans, and etc. But, to Cal, he was a brand. He did what he did to promote the brand. Cal turns it on and off for the camera. If he thinks he will get some positve publicity, he will put on the Ripken way face. If not, he will walk by you like you are below him. This post is from personal experience, and coming from alot of people around Aberdeen. That said, I don't have any ill will torwards Cal. He's just not a very good commentator.

Seriously. What a bunch of crybabies here. Oh, Cal isn't gushing over the Orioles? BFD, he's supposed to be neutral.

If anyone wonders where Cal's loyalty is, they need to get their heads checked. Did anyone not pay attention to what he said during his statue speech when he went out of his way to congratulate Buck and the team?

But he wasn't neutral. He was gushing over the Yankees the entire game. If he was compensating so much perhaps he shouldn't have been calling the Orioles game. Smoltz wasn't calling the Braves game. Why not ship Cal to St Louis?

What pissed so many of us off if that he pretty much just supported the main play-by-play guy in the booth - you know the guy who actually calls games for the YES network. I can give that guy a pass because he is used to getting excited when the Yankees win, but a little love from Cal would have balanced it out. But no. Cal just had to bow down to the Yankee alter. It was an embarrassment.

The only thing I giive Cal a pass on is he did sound a little sad after the Yankees broke the game open. Other than that, I think he needs to take a few lessons from brother Bill who does a great job maintaining a fair and honest broadcast while not hiding his rooting interest.

No one made a claim about a secret army, someone suggested Cal likes the Yankees better than the Orioles. It is silly at best. Now, if someone suggests Cal isn't a great analyst in the booth, I can go with that, but he isn't a Yankee fan.

-Don

Great, then we're in agreement. He's not a great analyst. I would not expect him to be, however. Bordick sucked when he started, but I believe Bordick is now an excellent color guy. I'm just going by what I've heard so far. And I haven't enjoyed it. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not suggesting we take away his Cal statue.

Like many have said, Cal simply isn't a very good commentator.... and Smoltz isn't much better. Very bad choices for TBS.

I kind of like Smoltz, I think he is pretty sharp, and I did not like him as a player. Honestly, having listened to Bill Ripken on MLB radio and MLBN, I think he is better at baseball analysis than his brother.

[/b]

I live in Aberdeen, and other than for his baseball camp, he's rarely here. Folks around here, that know Cal, have grown to not hate him, but have said he's forgotten where he's come from. Aberdeen had a parade for him once, and he didn't even show up for it. Folks can talk all they want about Cal staying and signing for fans, and etc. But, to Cal, he was a brand. He did what he did to promote the brand. Cal turns it on and off for the camera. If he thinks he will get some positve publicity, he will put on the Ripken way face. If not, he will walk by you like you are below him. This post is from personal experience, and coming from alot of people around Aberdeen. That said, I don't have any ill will torwards Cal. He's just not a very good commentator.

Sounds very similar to the Ripken Experience here in Myrtle Beach. Comes here once or twice a year and that's it. Local media covers and then you don't hear about it for a while.

But he wasn't neutral. He was gushing over the Yankees the entire game. If he was compensating so much perhaps he shouldn't have been calling the Orioles game. Smoltz wasn't calling the Braves game. Why not ship Cal to St Louis?

What pissed so many of us off if that he pretty much just supported the main play-by-play guy in the booth - you know the guy who actually calls games for the YES network. I can give that guy a pass because he is used to getting excited when the Yankees win, but a little love from Cal would have balanced it out. But no. Cal just had to bow down to the Yankee alter. It was an embarrassment.

The only thing I giive Cal a pass on is he did sound a little sad after the Yankees broke the game open. Other than that, I think he needs to take a few lessons from brother Bill who does a great job maintaining a fair and honest broadcast while not hiding his rooting interest.

I don't think Ernie Johnson is a YES guy, unless you were being facetious.

If Cal was expected to be excruciatingly objective then why did TBS assign him to the Yankees/Orioles series? I wouldn't be surprised if Cal hasn't missed one or two cues here. If that's true, he needs to get a better consultant and fast.

[/b]

Sounds very similar to the Ripken Experience here in Myrtle Beach. Comes here once or twice a year and that's it. Local media covers and then you don't hear about it for a while.

I kind of like Smoltz, I think he is pretty sharp, and I did not like him as a player. Honestly, having listened to Bill Ripken on MLB radio and MLBN, I think he is better at baseball analysis than his brother.

Bill is AWESOME at analysis, both during and post game. It's a shame MLBN has him and he can't do more.

Great, then we're in agreement. He's not a great analyst. I would not expect him to be, however. Bordick sucked when he started, but I believe Bordick is now an excellent color guy. I'm just going by what I've heard so far. And I haven't enjoyed it. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not suggesting we take away his Cal statue.

I didn't think you wanted to haul away the Cal statue, although it might look good in someone's front yard. That said, yes, I can completely agree Cal is not so good in the booth, or the studio.

I do too. And I feel like I could have a coupla beers beers with Billy after the show.

Archived