ALDS Game 2: Yankees @ Orioles "Singing in the Rain Part Deux"

Dipper9

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going on record-This team is a dog backed into a corner and we are going to see a fight from them tonight like we havent seen...since the Rangers game! There is no quit in this team, expect them to come out of the gate like the Yankees did last night. Hit and runs, bunts, steals...Hats off to the CC last night, but IT'S ON!!!

JTW8R9J8vkGXQu9Bw5Jefg2.gif

Good to see the lineup shaken up a bit. A little worried about Chen because of his innings load and a few of his more recent starts, including his last one against the MFYs, but he's had six days, so hopefully he will have things together. It may not have seemed like it, but he ended up with 192-2/3 IP during the regular season, averaging 6 IP/start (32 starts). His previous high was 188 IP in Japan in 2010. The team should be treating this like an elimination game (though there will probably be a few exceptions, e.g. 'pen management); obviously it will be easier to win 2 of 3 in MFY-Land than get a three-game sweep. Hoping for good things tonight.

Chen hasn't won a game since August, hopefully the extra rest will have him primed for a great effort.

Offensively it's about time for Jones, Wieters and Reynolds to show up. They are hitting a combined .150 over the last 11 games. Their failure to score Hardy was a microcosm of recent struggles.

Desperately need these guys to step up and produce tonight.

I am going on record-This team is a dog backed into a corner and we are going to see a fight from them tonight like we havent seen...since the Rangers game! There is no quit in this team, expect them to come out of the gate like the Yankees did last night. Hit and runs, bunts, steals...Hats off to the CC last night, but IT'S ON!!!

JTW8R9J8vkGXQu9Bw5Jefg2.gif

SWEEP THE LEG!

o

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Except he wasn’t promoted late in the season last year.
    • I haven’t watched every single at bat, the ones I have seen have been bad. I didn’t check the EV on his hit, I’ve been corrected. It was technically a hard hit ball. Looked it like it squeezed through a hole in the infield to me, but 101 is technically a hard hit ball so I concede.   I feel like reiterating, I think he’s going to be a very good player. Not sure why everyone here is so against being critical on someone who has hit worse than any active major league hitter in the same time frame. Isn’t it safe to just make the statement that Jackson Holliday has been bad at baseball? Sure he’ll be fine, but so far he hasn’t been. God forbid you say it out loud. I’m not even panicked about him as a player. Almost every rookie struggles in a similar fashion. They’re not all hyped to the degree that Holliday is though, so of course he will put under a different microscope. 
    • As long as we are winning regularly and scoring runs while having to carry him in the lineup, I don't see a problem. It is best for the org that he learn at this level. I know that it may be "painful to watch" for some. But what he needs to learn, he cannot learn at AAA. The pitching there is simply not good/competitive enough to teach him the things that will make him an effective/very good/maybe even great Big Leaguer. Pitchers at AAA cannot execute the breaking pitches with command on a consistent basis to give him those kind of meaningful reps. We have the luxury of "apprenticing" him right now because the rest of the lineup/roster/team is so good.  
    • Interesting point about his zone rate since he only has the 1 BB in his AAA innings this year, and very good BB rates in Spring Training too. In watching him in Spring Training he was living above the zone with his fastball, which IIRC has mediocre IVB but exceptional horizontal movement. That could explain the low in-zone rate if he was continuing to live up and out of the zone but get chases there. Based on this Spring Training results, the new & improved stuff he’s carried and and his small sample AAA numbers (bad ERA, but great K/BB), I think there’s a pretty good chance he’s a solid MLB pitcher. I’m skeptical he’s going to be a proper SP since it was really only his fastball that looked like a true plus offering, but I like that he’s getting a shot at that first. So long as he gets moved to the pen and not DFA’d when he gets bumped from the rotation. 
    • Agree with all of that. I guess I sort of expected him to struggle out of the gate given how just about all prospects do initially in today's game. It appears that the gap between AAA and the Majors is greater than ever before. Elias even alluded to this. One thing I have noticed in his PA's is that I suspect that he is used to "eliminating" certain pitches because Minor League pitches could not execute those pitches regularly (in particular a back door breaking ball to a LHH). But as he is finding out, Major League pitches can pin point spots with great precision. He will make the adjustment in terms of being aggressive/ready to hit early in the count (particularly at 0-0). 
    • Banuelos was only activated because he was on the "taxi" squad. the Orioles did him a solid giving him an at bat last night. It very well could be the only one he ever gets in the big leagues. He spent all of 2023 in AA, and has a career .209/.268/.394/.662 slash line in AAA. He's pass through waivers and if not, good luck to him.
    • I just watched a bunch of his at bats. His mechanics look fine. I think it's pitch recognition and the off speed pitches that are the 2 issues. Only repetition can solve those problems.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now