Future of Rays in TB in doubt?

Dark Helmet

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isnt that MASN territory? Pete loves that idea. Another agreement with MLB to pad his pockets some more?

Hah sure is! They're building the AAA knights stadium in the city now but if the Rays truly wanted to move to Charlotte I hope Charlotte wouldn't go against it because of a minor league team.

Northern New Jersey seems like a natural location. New Jersey doesn't have a baseball team, so I think NY teams and Philly would have trouble blocking them. All the other major sports have NJ teams. Didn't the NY Giants and Jets used to play in NJ?

They dont have basketball anymore. The Nets moved to Brooklyn.

There is room in New England for a second team.

However the Rays are not going anywhere.

You're going up against 100 years of tradition there.

I don't see fans supporting a new (and likely terrible) team when the Red Sox are likely contending each year.

I think the Brooklyn thing could work since there is such a strong sense of community there but even then I don't know if a team not named the Dodgers could muster up attendance when the Yankees and Mets are a train ride away.

These sports leagues need to realize they've maxed out their product and they need to keep improving the game to make sure it doesn't deteriorate over time and lose fan interest.

The NFL is doing a terrible job of this right now.

There is room in New England for a second team.

However the Rays are not going anywhere.

In the near future then. But theres no way the Rays stay in TB without a new stadium. And the people and city of TB wont help fund a project that will most likely not pay dividends back. The Rays being in TB is on the clock imo.

So the lease with TB ends in 2027. That's 15 years away.

You're going to start hearing about this a lot more within the next 5-10 years.

They'll need a deal in place for a new stadium by 2022 or they're going to become the next Expos, playing "home games" in San Juan, Mexico City, London, New Orleans, you name it.

MLB should have done the right thing, and contracted both teams in FLA. The writing was on the wall in Miami, that the Marlins situation would be a debacle. And the writing is on the wall now, that TB will not support the Rays. New stadium or not.

Miami could support a team that didn't have terrible ownership, even with the demographic issues that affect sports there. They're easily a top-20 media market and maybe top 15.

In the near future then. But theres no way the Rays stay in TB without a new stadium. And the people and city of TB wont help fund a project that will most likely not pay dividends back. The Rays being in TB is on the clock imo.

Since their agreement runs through 2027, the "clock" will take a very long time to expire. From what I've read, the Rays pay $0.50 per ticket sold to use Tropicana Field. That's under $1 mm per year, and wouldn't be much of an impediment. However, the agreement specifies that the Rays can't even talk to another party about playing elsewhere before 2027, and provides that a court may issue an injunction if they try.

Since their agreement runs through 2027, the "clock" will take a very long time to expire. From what I've read, the Rays pay $0.50 per ticket sold to use Tropicana Field. That's under $1 mm per year, and wouldn't be much of an impediment. However, the agreement specifies that the Rays can't even talk to another party about playing elsewhere before 2027, and provides that a court may issue an injunction if they try.

St. Pete isn't even interested in letting the team move to Tampa.

Archived