Future of Rays in TB in doubt?

Dark Helmet

I bring this up here, because this could obviously have an effect on the Orioles if TB were to leave. Ken Rothensal just said on MLB Hotstove, that the debacle in Miami, has all but guaranteed the Rays wont get a new stadium. Never thought of Miamis' situation, hurting the future of the Rays future in TB.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They drew 1,058,695 in 2003 and they are still in Tampa.

Leases can be broke and negogiations for buyouts can be made. If the onwer of the Rays took it to court, and proved lack of attendance is going to eventually destroy the team, he could make a good case. Would it really be worth the time and money to try and keep a team that

A) Doesnt want to be there

B) Nobody in TB cares about

C) Doesnt infuse much revenue into the city

Is it worth fighting whats going to happen eventually anyhow? They cant even draw when theyve contended the last 4 years. If that doesnt build a fanbase, then nothing will.

Leases can be broke and negogiations for buyouts can be made. If the onwer of the Rays took it to court, and proved lack of attendance is going to eventually destroy the team, he could make a good case. Would it really be worth the time and money to try and keep a team that

A) Doesnt want to be there

B) Nobody in TB cares about

C) Doesnt infuse much revenue into the city

Is it worth fighting whats going to happen eventually anyhow? They cant even draw when theyve contended the last 4 years. If that doesnt build a fanbase, then nothing will.

The local government would fight them every inch of the way.

The local government would fight them every inch of the way.

I agree. But I cant see the Rays just sitting back and waiting 15 years for their lease to expire. They will either want a new stadium guarantee (which wont happen) or they will fight to relocate. But you are right, the politicians that pushed for a team, wont admit MLB baseball in TB (Or Fla in general) just wont thrive.

Brooklyn Rays anyone? I'm thinking I like Drungo's idea of more teams in the larger markets.

While I agree your idea makes the most sense, one would think the NYY and NYM would fight that tooth and nail, and given Bud's deliberate (read: slow) pace with allowing Oak to move into SF's "territory" one would think that will never happen. SO what markets then? I would posit Montreal gets a second chance as that fan base supported baseball and can't be blamed for a bad owner (ie Loria). Just a thought.

I'll continue my hope that they move the Rays to Vegas. I can't think of a better bachelor party idea than seeing the Orioles in Vegas.

Otherwise, I think that the Rays should be moved to somewhere like Portland, OKC, or Charlotte. Though the idea of them being in Connecticut or Brooklyn is interesting, as well.

While I agree your idea makes the most sense, one would think the NYY and NYM would fight that tooth and nail, and given Bud's deliberate (read: slow) pace with allowing Oak to move into SF's "territory" one would think that will never happen. SO what markets then? I would posit Montreal gets a second chance as that fan base supported baseball and can't be blamed for a bad owner (ie Loria). Just a thought.
Vancouver, Las Vegas, Mexico City, Connecticut, Portland.

I agree. But I cant see the Rays just sitting back and waiting 15 years for their lease to expire. They will either want a new stadium guarantee (which wont happen) or they will fight to relocate. But you are right, the politicians that pushed for a team, wont admit MLB baseball in TB (Or Fla in general) just wont thrive.

Ownership won't take it to court. They would have to open up their books and I guarantee you the Rays make a sizable profit.

Archived