Offseason moves - Is McLouth the biggest one?

Guest hutch

Just waiting for the legit, MOO big bat who scares pitchers and will provide protection to AJ and Matt.

MSK

I have to imagine all the fans want that. The press has been talking about it. DD himself has been talking about it. Of course Buck wants it.

It's just a matter of who and how. It's probably going to be via trade, and that takes time. It probably means we give up pitching. So it may also have to wait until after we can sign a Saunders type starter via free agency.

I'm hopeful it will happen. It'll just take time.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sometimes I wonder if you ever have any fun rooting for the Orioles, or if you just enjoy being "infuriated" about the front office all of the time. I would guess that it's probably the latter.

OFFNY

So flying from LA to the ALDS in Baltimore and NYC doesn't count?

I had a blast in 2012. Watched 95% of the games in MLB.com and went to West Coast Orioles fan gatherings.

Now to compete in 2013, we cannot stand pat because we got lucky for once. We need a big bat. It's not that complicated. Except the FO wants to be dirt cheap and try to skirt around making a significant FA deal.

That's what I don't like.

MSK

I understand that there's a certain percentage of posters here who are against big name free agent signings and want to stay the course, (For whatever reason) but the goal is to win a World Series, and the team needs to be constructed to just that.

I felt very fortunate to be where we were last season, but I don't believe that a nearly identical team will be able to be a World Series winner without fixing some GAPING holes. The team could not hit against the Yankees. There were periods during the season where the offense looked anemic at best for decent stretches. Stopgap measures won't fix this; a major hitting talent needs to be acquired. Someone who rarely slumps and can hit and get on base the entire season.

If we added a .860+ OPS bat then I'd feel a lot better about next season. I don't think you're going to find that from players on minor league deals.

I had a blast in 2012. Watched 95% of the games in MLB.com and went to West Coast Orioles fan gatherings.

Now to compete in 2013, we cannot stand pat because we got lucky for once. We need a big bat. It's not that complicated. Except the FO wants to be dirt cheap and try to skirt around making a significant FA deal.

MSK

Who says we're standing put? If this was March 5th and not December 5th. I'd understand your pov but I don't think you can accuse the FO of not doing anything to improve the team when it's early December. Most teams haven't made big moves yet. It's still early in offseason. For all you and I know, Duquette could have a trade in the works with someone.

Good for you.

MSK

As I was saying ...... you sound like you are always miserable/pissy about the Orioles' front office, and you seem to get something out of that. If that's what makes you happy, then I hope you at least have fun with it.

OFFNY

I understand that there's a certain percentage of posters here who are against big name free agent signings and want to stay the course, (For whatever reason) but the goal is to win a World Series, and the team needs to be constructed to just that.

I felt very fortunate to be where we were last season, but I don't believe that a nearly identical team will be able to be a World Series winner without fixing some GAPING holes. The team could not hit against the Yankees. There were periods during the season where the offense looked anemic at best for decent stretches. Stopgap measures won't fix this; a major hitting talent needs to be acquired. Someone who rarely slumps and can hit and get on base the entire season.

If we added a .860+ OPS bat then I'd feel a lot better about next season. I don't think you're going to find that from players on minor league deals.

This is what the issue is and I wonder why few others notice this or share the same sense of alarm?

MSK

This is what the issue is and I wonder why few others notice this or share the same sense of alarm?

MSK

Because we know that all of our armchair machinations are not going make the Orioles better and that somehow, Buck and Dan Duquette have. We weren't lucky.

No ones saying that. But with all of the indications pointing towards no jump in payroll and nearly every team we might trade with being offered better packages than ours for their players, I think it's legitimate concern that the team we have now is, in effect, what the roster looks like on opening day.

Oh, you mean the roster that got us one game against the Yanks away from the ALCS?

And before we trot out luck and run differential (legitimate as related to the first half of last season), take a look at the way the team played, basically the same team we have now, the second half of last season.

Of course we could actually be better than last year, with the same roster. Healthy Markakis, Cassila/Flaherty playing well at 2B, full season of McLouth. Full seasons from Hammel, Tillman, Gonzo and a more experienced Chen.

It would be nice if they brought Reynolds back though, I'd rather see Davis DH full-time than the alternatives (Betemit/Reimold/?).

And for the record, I am generally not an optimist, especially as it relates to the O's, but none of what I suggested sounds very far fetched. Plus, it get's old reading post after post about things that aren't going to happen, and then complaining.

It doesn't feel as if the Orioles are going to do much this off season.

DD and Buck have both stated - quite clearly - that they aren't signing anyone of note and that they will continue to explore internal options. No matter what big MOO bat comes along, even at a deal, they would rather ignore that and put all their energy toward signing McClouth. Possibly re-signing Reynolds.

The deals are going to be flying now. Did they let Endy Chavez walk? They can get him for a deal.

They've already said Betemit (BETEMIT) can DH.

Absurd.

MSK

Why is it absurd? Because it isn't flashy?

Betemit has a career .824 OPS vs. RHPs, .859 in 2012. Valencia has a career .316/.359/.472 line vs. LHPs. Put them together as a DH platoon, and you have an .840ish OPS at DH. Who cares what it costs as long as it's effective?

The Orioles seem to be content with the Plan B player at the Plan A price instead of the Plan A player at the Plan B price. The former method lead the Orioles to the post season last year. The latter method, well...exhibit A The Boston Red Sox...

I'm okay if McLouth is the big addition this offseason, as long as there is a suitable number of plan B players for when some of them fall down.

Archived