More Smoak and Mirrors on Free Agency

smootharch

What's the consensus on Arrieta for Smoak? I think that suits both sides well.

I think Arrieta deserves another chance. But the value is here. Struggling young supposed to be TOR guy for struggling young supposed to be great slugger.

I prefer to part ways with Arrieta than Matusz/Britton.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Arrieta deserves another chance. But the value is here. Struggling young supposed to be TOR guy for struggling young supposed to be great slugger.

I prefer to part ways with Arrieta than Matusz/Britton.

I think we can afford to part ways with 1 of the 3 "Calvary"...esp with Bundy and Gausman almost ready..,Arrieta for Smoak sounds like a win/win...

Not a fan of trading Arrieta for a 1B who cannot and may very well never hit. Arrieta has at least show ace-like stuff at the MLB level.

Arrieta for Ackley on the other hand :scratchchinhmm:

(is that a realistic deal?)

Arrieta for Ackley is MUCH more intriquing to me, but I doubt the Os are interested in him. They think they have the second coming of Dustin Pedroia in Casillia.

Would Steve Johnson do it? Too much?
Yes. Yes.

Johnson would not come anywhere close to netting Smoak. Whether or not he's shown much in the majors so far, Smoak's ceiling is significantly higher than Johnson's. The Mariners crank out guys like Johnson without even breaking a sweat. Not going to happen.

Arrieta for Ackley is MUCH more intriquing to me, but I doubt the Os are interested in him. They think they have the second coming of Dustin Pedroia in Casillia.
Would the M's trade Ackley too?

The Mariners are not going to trade Ackley.

What's the consensus on Arrieta for Smoak? I think that suits both sides well.

This is getting close to the realm of reality, though I think the Orioles would still have to add a little more. Neither player has shown much in the majors so far and both players are more or less blocked. Smoak has the higher ceiling between the two and the Mariners aren't going to rush out to trade positional talent considering they have so little. I think Arrieta + Hoes/Avery is a pretty realistic trade and one the Orioles should make. The Orioles would be dealing from positions of depth (pitching and outfield, respectively) to fill a huge position of need (first base). Smoak may not amount to much, but he's a risk the Orioles should be taking, especially with no clear alternatives to the position.

Matusz for Smoak so that we can finally erase on of the great travesties of the MacPhail era. Then, we go out and make a WOW offer to Hamilton, we still can wine and dine him. After we do all that, I want to see DD go to Jos A. Bank, and buy one sweater vest and burn the three free ones.

The O's can be as interested as they want to be- the M's are unlikely to trade him.

And no one thinks Casilla is going to be an All Star. He is what he is- a glove-first stopgap to Schoop with decent speed that will probably hit at or slightly above replacement level.

DD isn't half the moron as you seem to believe he is.

Not a fan of trading Arrieta for a 1B who cannot and may very well never hit. Arrieta has at least show ace-like stuff at the MLB level.

Arrieta for Ackley on the other hand :scratchchinhmm:

(is that a realistic deal?)

Arrieta is 28, as far as i'm concerned his window is short going forward in general.

what about out of options Tommy Hunter? Actually, I think the Mariners value Smoak way above Johnson and Hunter. But they are wrong in doing so. He's a mess.

With Tommy Hunter throwing 100 MPH out of the pen last year, I dont want him to go. I was blown away (no pun intended) by how hard he go throw. I was used to seeing 89 MPH cutters, aka meatballs from the guy. He seemed pretty effective out of the pen.

Archived