Joe Saunders update

wildcard

Why?

Steve Johnson 2.11 ERA over 12 games and yes only 38.1 innings, but looked very good.

Chris Tillman 2.93 ERA over 15 games and 86 innings, also looked good.

Miguel Gonzalez 3.25 over 18 games and 105.1 innings

Jason Hammel 3.43 over 20 games 118 innings

Chen 4.02 over 32 games and 192.2 innings

and then you have Matusz and Britton both trying to fight for a spot. That is 7 real options, plus Arrieta and Bundy on the outside shots. I know you can never have enough pitching, but if the rotation performed any where close to those numbers above(which I know is not entirely realistic with the SSS) then Saunders isnt cracking that rotation and the combined salary would be less than just his. I think if we are going to get another pitcher, then we need someone better than Saunders. I like the guy and he did a good job, but if we arent trading any starters I dont see the point in signing him.

When you think you have enough pitching.....sign two more.

What central PA said. ;)

I'd go two years guaranteed. Rather do one and an option tho.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why?

Steve Johnson 2.11 ERA over 12 games and yes only 38.1 innings, but looked very good.

Chris Tillman 2.93 ERA over 15 games and 86 innings, also looked good.

Miguel Gonzalez 3.25 over 18 games and 105.1 innings

Jason Hammel 3.43 over 20 games 118 innings

Chen 4.02 over 32 games and 192.2 innings

and then you have Matusz and Britton both trying to fight for a spot. That is 7 real options, plus Arrieta and Bundy on the outside shots. I know you can never have enough pitching, but if the rotation performed any where close to those numbers above(which I know is not entirely realistic with the SSS) then Saunders isnt cracking that rotation and the combined salary would be less than just his. I think if we are going to get another pitcher, then we need someone better than Saunders. I like the guy and he did a good job, but if we arent trading any starters I dont see the point in signing him.

Why would you think the O's are not going to trade any starters? That is what they offered for Butler. That is about all they have to trade to get the MOO bat they have been searching for. If the O's sign Saunders the O's will be in an even better position to upgrade the lineup.

Saunders would also have trade value if Gausman and Bundy are ready by the All-Star break or during the off season next year.

Theoretically, yeah, but the reality is this sort of thing almost never happens. If the Orioles are in the playoff hunt and Saunders is pitching well enough to actually bring value back in a trade, then the Orioles aren't going to remove him from the rotation. They'll keep Gausman and Bundy down until one of the starters becomes ineffective or gets injured.

Why would you think the O's are not going to trade any starters? That is what they offered for Butler. That is about all they have to trade to get the MOO bat they have been searching for. If the O's sign Saunders the O's will be in an even better position to upgrade the lineup.

Ordinarily I'd agree but I think what the Winter Meetings showed is that other teams don't value our pitching. Which means signing Saunders gives us a surplus of what we already have. I don't see any of the guys being mentioned here in trades bringing back what we all would consider a MOO.

Theoretically, yeah, but the reality is this sort of thing almost never happens. If the Orioles are in the playoff hunt and Saunders is pitching well enough to actually bring value back in a trade, then the Orioles aren't going to remove him from the rotation. They'll keep Gausman and Bundy down until one of the starters becomes ineffective or gets injured.

Great problem to have.

Ordinarily I'd agree but I think what the Winter Meetings showed is that other teams don't value our pitching. Which means signing Saunders gives us a surplus of what we already have. I don't see any of the guys being mentioned here in trades bringing back what we all would consider a MOO.

Its a different time in the off season. In November and December teams are trying to land a big free agent. After Jan 1st prices drop as budgets are getting tight. Cheaper players become more attractive.

Take the Nats. If they sign LaRoche and Morse becomes surplus, they will want cheap young players in return for Morse. Tampa and the O's will be competing to see who can put the best package together of young talent that fits the Nats needs.

Padres may be stepping up to be the main competition for Saunders. Here is an article from UT San Diego:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1461869-san-diego-padres-are-targetting-pitcher-joe-saunders

There is a similar report of Brett Myers on the same website:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1462081-san-diego-padres-could-brett-myers-join-the-padres-starting-rotation-in-2013

I like Saunders but like many said we have a lot of other guys that could fill the spot if we don't sign him. Yeah these guys might not give you 200 innings say but as a group you may get that out of them. The idea that if we sign them it blocks some of the young guys with upside but if they pitch well we can trade them. I don't really buy that all that much because I think all these guys have proved they can pitch at the minor league level but struggled at the majors. This may hurt us in the trade value in them when another GM says he never has had any success at the major league level and we don't want to make him a major part of a middle of the order bat. I really think we could get around the same value out of Britton/Johnson/Wada for a half a season or so until Bundy is ready.

If we do sign him and guys like Tilman and Gonzo pitch well i think there is a better chance Hammel gets dealt in a deal for a hitter in the middle of the year then Saunders. Are we going to want to give Hammel a 3/33 million dollar contract. I don't think they will if they have three solid guys under control and also Saunders as a vertern and then with Bundy and Gausman ready by 2014.

Its a different time in the off season. In November and December teams are trying to land a big free agent. After Jan 1st prices drop as budgets are getting tight. Cheaper players become more attractive.

Take the Nats. If they sign LaRoche and Morse becomes surplus, they will want cheap young players in return for Morse. Tampa and the O's will be competing to see who can put the best package together of young talent that fits the Nats needs.

Right, but how has any of that increased the value of our guys? I know what you are trying to say but my point is that any combination of Arrieta, Britton, Matusz or even Tillman doesn't seem to be overwhelming anyone.

I'm talking about trading partners not FA.

Hope we get this done soon. Saunders would add stability to the rotation, and it never hurts to have more pitching depth. Plus he's only asking for a one year deal so there's really not much risk involved.

I think thats the hold up. He probably wants something at least similar to what Blanton got.

Archived