Joe Saunders update

wildcard

What is the Orioles rotation as of this moment? My best guess is that Tillman, Hammel, Gonzalez, Chen and Matusz/Arrieta/Britton is how the rotation would go. Does anyone else get a little nervous looking at this rotation considering:

1.) Arrieta and Britton pitched poor last year.

2.) Hammel seemed to be injured for the second half of the season.

3.) Gonzalez was a forgotten man prior to joining us.

4.) Tillman was very average up prior to last year (although he had upside).

5.) Matusz plan got shelled as a starter in 2011/2012.

Saunders provides us with some starting pitching depth and pretty much assures us a 175+ IP season with an ERA in the 3.85-4.25 range. Not lighting the world on fire, but that is good for a back of the rotation starter in the East. Saunders might be the best that we can do and I think that we would be lucky to get him on a 1/7 deal and should be looking in the 2/16 area.

I still feel that the Yankees and Red Sox are transitioning so they do not scare me at this point. The Blue Jays could be good and I wouldn't rule out the Rays based on how they do things. I think the Orioles have a chance, but not without making some solid moves and getting Saunders to come back is one of those moves IMO.

The yankees and transitioning are no such words that belong together. They will be good as usual with all those guys. The Sox were full of injuries. Additions are coming and those guys are returning.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whether DD goes from one year with a club option to two years really depends on what the other teams are doing.

Twins probably will not go two years.

Padres may go two but may go for Myers or Marcum over Saunders

Mets reportedly like Pavano, Chris Young and others more than Saunders

Mariners will sign someone after trading Vargas. Will probably go two years but don't know how much they like Saunders.

Its musical chairs for Saunders, Chris Young, Marcum, Capuano, Harang, Myers and Pavano. That could drive the number of years down.

Great post sir. They should start deciding very soon. I really like to see Joe come back but on our terms.

Will Brett Myers signing affect Saunders contract?

MLBTR is reporting that Myers will sign for one year plus a club option year. Does this mean the market has changed over from the two year contract for starters that Liriano and Blanton received tp a year and an option? That is probably where the O's are with their offer to Saunders.

Will Brett Myers signing affect Saunders contract?

MLBTR is reporting that Myers will sign for one year plus a club option year. Does this mean the market has changed over from the two year contract for starters that Liriano and Blanton received tp a year and an option? That is probably where the O's are with their offer to Saunders.

Myers was used exclusively as a reliever in 2012. So, I don't read anything into his deal so far as Saunders goes. I'd be really surprised if Saunders doesn't get two years.

Myers was used exclusively as a reliever in 2012. So, I don't read anything into his deal so far as Saunders goes. I'd be really surprised if Saunders doesn't get two years.

Myers has stated he will pitch as a starter this season. But yeah.

I'd be really surprised if he doesn't at least get the deal Blanton got since I consider him the superior pitcher.

In trying to determine the value of Saunders on the open market, here are all the other FA SP signings so far this off-season:

Zach Greinke 6/147

Anibal Sanchez 5/80

Edwin Jackson 4/52

Jeremy Guthrie 3/25

Ryan Dempster 2/26.5

Joe Blanton 2/15

Brandon McCarthy 2/15

Hisashi Iwakuma 2/14

Francisco Liriano 2/12.75

Kevin Correia 2/10

Carlos Villanueva 2/10

Hiroki Kuroda 1/15

Dan Haren 1/13

Andy Pettitte 1/12

Brett Myers 1/7

Scott Feldman 1/6

Scott Baker 1/5.5

Mike Pelfrey 1/4

Roberto Hernandez 1/3.25

Bartolo Colon 1/3

Jason Marquis 1/3

John Lannan 1/2.5

Jeff Francis 1/1.5

Rich Harden 1/MiL

Scott Kazmir 1/MiL

Randy Wells 1/MiL

I have to think that he should eventually be willing to settle on a 2-year deal in the 16-17M range, Which would put him ahead of guys like Blanton, McCarthy, Liriano, Myers, Feldman, and Baker in terms of AAV.

Prices generally fall in Jan.

Who is going to give Saunders two years?

I'd give him 2/16 and be done with it. Worse case scenario: we have too many capable pitchers and have to trade one. Too much starting pitching never hurt anyone.

I trust how DD's handling this one and maybe we can snag Saunders for less, but I certainly wouldn't be against a 2/16 deal.

In trying to determine the value of Saunders on the open market, here are all the other FA SP signings so far this off-season:

Ryan Dempster 2/26.5

Joe Blanton 2/15

Brandon McCarthy 2/15

Hisashi Iwakuma 2/14

Francisco Liriano 2/12.75

Kevin Correia 2/10

Carlos Villanueva 2/10

I have to think that he should eventually be willing to settle on a 2-year deal in the 16-17M range, Which would put him ahead of guys like Blanton, McCarthy, Liriano, Myers, Feldman, and Baker in terms of AAV.

Easy comp was Blanton. IMHO Saunders should get a 2/$12MM deal from the O's. Anything more and we are overpaying. We could always use the extra pitching but by no means do we need to overpay for him.

Archived