Joe Saunders update

wildcard

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like the guy back for a flat 2/10$M with a team option, but the pitching contracts being handed out this Winter seem to suggest he might be in line for a 2/16$M with a 3rd year vesting option based on innings pitched.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather just let him walk. He really isn't anything special. We'd probably tire of his mediocrity by the All-Star break and then dread the last year and a half of his contract. A 2013 combination of Johnson/Arrieta/Britton/Bundy/+ working the 5th spot is fine by me.

(this is the part where you call me crazy)

I'd like the guy back for a flat 2/10$M with a team option, but the pitching contracts being handed out this Winter seem to suggest he might be in line for a 2/16$M with a 3rd year vesting option based on innings pitched.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather just let him walk. He really isn't anything special. We'd probably tire of his mediocrity by the All-Star break and then dread the last year and a half of his contract. A 2013 combination of Johnson/Arrieta/Britton/Bundy/+ working the 5th spot is fine by me.

(this is the part where you call me crazy)

I don't think you're crazy. I'm pretty much with you. 2/10 or as much as 1/7 would be about it for me. We should have got Lannan.

Tend to agree with the OP. We don't necessarily need him, per se, but you'd love to enter the season with at least one guy who is a pretty solid bet to throw 180-200 innings to low 4's ERA. As of now, there is a really glaring lack of anyone who can be counted on to do that.

But then again, I said the same thing with regards to the O's trading Guthrie a year ago (as he was our only proven starter at the time).

What is the Orioles rotation as of this moment? My best guess is that Tillman, Hammel, Gonzalez, Chen and Matusz/Arrieta/Britton is how the rotation would go. Does anyone else get a little nervous looking at this rotation considering:

1.) Arrieta and Britton pitched poor last year.

2.) Hammel seemed to be injured for the second half of the season.

3.) Gonzalez was a forgotten man prior to joining us.

4.) Tillman was very average up prior to last year (although he had upside).

5.) Matusz plan got shelled as a starter in 2011/2012.

Saunders provides us with some starting pitching depth and pretty much assures us a 175+ IP season with an ERA in the 3.85-4.25 range. Not lighting the world on fire, but that is good for a back of the rotation starter in the East. Saunders might be the best that we can do and I think that we would be lucky to get him on a 1/7 deal and should be looking in the 2/16 area.

I still feel that the Yankees and Red Sox are transitioning so they do not scare me at this point. The Blue Jays could be good and I wouldn't rule out the Rays based on how they do things. I think the Orioles have a chance, but not without making some solid moves and getting Saunders to come back is one of those moves IMO.

I don't see any way Saunders gets less than 2/$15 mm, which is what Blanton got.

I agree and I'm sure Duquette recognizes this. I'm guessing there is probably more of a negotiation on years than salary at this point. Saunders is probably asking for 3 years and the O's don't want to go beyond 2.

Whether DD goes from one year with a club option to two years really depends on what the other teams are doing.

Twins probably will not go two years.

Padres may go two but may go for Myers or Marcum over Saunders

Mets reportedly like Pavano, Chris Young and others more than Saunders

Mariners will sign someone after trading Vargas. Will probably go two years but don't know how much they like Saunders.

Its musical chairs for Saunders, Chris Young, Marcum, Capuano, Harang, Myers and Pavano. That could drive the number of years down.

Archived