PECOTA projects the Orioles record at 74-88

Tony-OH

They won't but I wouldn't have a problem with 30 HR and 100 RBI from a league average defensive LF.

I wouldn't have a problem with 30/100 either. Problem is, that is not what you are going to get with Cruz.

Cruz has only hit 30 homers once (33 in 2009 when he was 28 years old) and never drove in more than 90 runs. He is now 33 years old (will turn 34 in July).

Also, keep in mind he was busted for PEDs this year. In the event he stops using PEDs, his numbers will in all likelyhood go down. If he does not stop using PEDs, he runs the risk of getting busted again (and the next suspension is 100 games).

If I had a vote I would stay as far away from this guy as possible.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the event he stops using PEDs, his numbers will in all likelyhood go down. If he does not stop using PEDs, he runs the risk of getting busted again (and the next suspension is 100 games).

If I had a vote I would stay as far away from this guy as possible.

He will get a four year deal. He will never use Ped's again. He will still hit between 18 and 22 homers a year. And I want nothing to do with him. He will be done before his contract is. Power pays, and he is getting paid.

They won't but I wouldn't have a problem with 30 HR and 100 RBI from a league average defensive LF.

This. I don't give a crap about what a guy has done in his past personal life. Just as long as his problems don't cause problems for the O's in the future. Put up numbers. ;)

If the team stays the same as right now I have no hope this will be a good season. The other teams in the AL East are better, I wouldn't be surprised if the Blue Jays rebound as well.

I am not sure the other teams in the AL East are better yet.

Red Sox: Lost Ellsbury, signed Pierzynski but lost Saltalamcchia, signed Mujica, probably will lose Drew.

Rays: Acquired Hanigan and Bell, lost Rodney.

Yankees: Signed Ellsbury to replace Granderson, signed Roberts and Kelly Johnson to replace Cano, signed Beltran and McCann, lost Pettitte, Hughes and Rivera.

Blue Jays: Signed Navarro to replace Arencibia.

As things stand today, I think we're a .500ish team. There's still a lot to happen.

I see a lot of posters make comments like "There's still moves to be made" or "Things will happen". Those might be true. But up to now, what have the Orioles or their front office done to give any kind of indication that its likely they will do anything of significance? It will be a lot of competing for positions this spring.

I see a lot of posters make comments like "There's still moves to be made" or "Things will happen". Those might be true. But up to now, what have the Orioles or their front office done to give any kind of indication that its likely they will do anything of significance? It will be a lot of competing for positions this spring.

Nothing. I am starting to feel like Duquette is just doing what Angelos wants and collecting his paycheck. Maybe he doesn't care either. After all he is getting paid pretty well and staying on Angelos good side. Some people only care about money.

Nothing. I am starting to feel like Duquette is just doing what Angelos wants and collecting his paycheck. Maybe he doesn't care either. After all he is getting paid pretty well and staying on Angelos good side. Some people only care about money.

Would you feel the same way if the Balfour deal had gone through? Honestly, I was feeling pretty good after the Balfour signing and the Lough trade, feeling that the O's still had room to acquire a hitter and a starting pitcher and turn this into a pretty solid winter. But the decision not to proceed with Balfour really put a damper on things, even though it may have been justified (I'm not advocating either way on that).

Would you feel the same way if the Balfour deal had gone through? Honestly, I was feeling pretty good after the Balfour signing and the Lough trade, feeling that the O's still had room to acquire a hitter and a starting pitcher and turn this into a pretty solid winter. But the decision not to proceed with Balfour really put a damper on things, even though it may have been justified (I'm not advocating either way on that).

I think the Balfour debacle was the nail in the coffin for me regarding this offseason. I expect nothing at this point. Maybe Duquette is getting bonuses to keep the payroll low? Wouldn't surprise me.

I think the Balfour debacle was the nail in the coffin for me regarding this offseason. I expect nothing at this point. Maybe Duquette is getting bonuses to keep the payroll low? Wouldn't surprise me.

I do understand why you feel that way. However, Duquette said weeks ago that he expected the 2014 payroll to exceed 2013's, which he said ended up at about $100 mm. I don't think he would have been so specific about that unless that's what he intended, and I very much doubt that he would have made that statement unless he had the authority from PA to spend that much.

Now that the Balfour deal fell through, it may be harder for DD to do what he said he'd do. I certainly don't want him spending money on bad deals just to say he kept his "promise" to have the payroll be higher than last year's. I mean, he could go offer AJ Burnett $20 mm for next season and the payroll would then be about $101 mm for next year, and I wouldn't feel that was a particularly wise move. Or, he could offer Kendrys Morales $15 mm and some reliever $5 mm, and I wouldn't be too crazy about that, either. I only want him spending in excess of $20 mm if he does it intelligently.

I'm with you Frobby. After Balfour and Lough I felt good. And we would have still had about 12 mill left or so. The Balfour deal was unfortunat, but unlike Ommaculate, I think DD will spend the money some how. He'll spend every penny Angelos will let him. He has room to maneuver and time. Way too early to jump off the cliff.

That isn't Cruz. He's been brutal defensively for 3 straight years. He's also old, slow, doesn't get on base enough, costs a pick, and will get far more than he's worth. Cruz's WAR for the last 3 years: 1.3, 1.1, 1.5.

You want to pay a lot for a 33 year old who hasn't posted a WAR over 2 since 2010? I don't. I think there's a good chance that David Lough is comparably valuable next year.

I do understand why you feel that way. However, Duquette said weeks ago that he expected the 2014 payroll to exceed 2013's, which he said ended up at about $100 mm. I don't think he would have been so specific about that unless that's what he intended, and I very much doubt that he would have made that statement unless he had the authority from PA to spend that much.

Now that the Balfour deal fell through, it may be harder for DD to do what he said he'd do. I certainly don't want him spending money on bad deals just to say he kept his "promise" to have the payroll be higher than last year's. I mean, he could go offer AJ Burnett $20 mm for next season and the payroll would then be about $101 mm for next year, and I wouldn't feel that was a particularly wise move. Or, he could offer Kendrys Morales $15 mm and some reliever $5 mm, and I wouldn't be too crazy about that, either. I only want him spending in excess of $20 mm if he does it intelligently.

I am very cynical and suspicious. I have seen enough crooks in my day to be suspicious of everyone and where there is smoke there is fire. Most people in this country are crooks these days, and Angelos and Duquette are emanating the crook odor. It is rare to find a good and honest person these days.

Archived