Derailed careers: which injured prospect do you regret the most?

Frobby

Here's a list of some prospects who have had serious injury problems since the late '90's or so. Of these, which are your biggest regrets? Who did you have really high hopes for? I'm going to include on this list some guys who made it to the majors, but never really got going due to injuries. And, some guys who are still in our MiL system and still have a chance to beat the odds.

Chris Smith

Beau Hale

Matt Riley

Adam Loewen

Val Majewski

Brandon Erbe

Chorye Spoone

Aaron Wirsch

Cameron Coffey

Dan Klein

Ryan Berry

Jesse Beal

Matt Hobgood

Tyler Townsend

Trent Mummey

In a sense, Troy Patton belongs on the list. He might have been a starting pitcher but for his shoulder injury. As it is, he's a pretty darned good reliever, but he'd have been awesome with 2-3 mph more on the fastball.

And here's a name for the old-timers: Pete Stanicek. That kid was dyamite at 2B coming up through the minors in '85-87. He could have been another BRob. Got hurt in AAA in '88, and kept getting injured after that. That was a tough loss.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me Loewen was the biggest hit to the system. Hobgood was regrettable because I didn't think he was worth that high a pick. Of all the players on the list, I most rooted for Majewski to make it.

I'm going to go with Loewen. The guy has some guts. He pitched in the big leagues with a screw in his arm. It's interesting that you mentioned Stanicek. That guy had a ton of talent IMO. It would have been interesting to see if the Orioles would have played him over Billy Ripken if he was able to stay healthy.

I'll go with Loewen. He struck fear into the Yankees. He was a big, athletic left who pitched into the mid-90's. That one really hurt. We had him playing in the majors and pitching well. I thought we'd finally broken the ice by developing a TOR starter again. Nope.

Hammonds is a nice addition to the conversation. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Archived