Don't Tell Me These O's Ain't Got No Heart

OFFNY

Hyde,  I am sure is using a game such as this and the first game of the series to decide who to keep and who to let go, as the organizations future is being built.  I must confess,  I gave up in anger after the score got to 7-5 in the top of the ninth.  Lo and behold,  when I discovered they had pulled it out 8-7  I was very surprised.  Hyde learned a lot about individual Orioles players today,  for sure.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oriole1940 said:

Hyde,  I am sure is using a game such as this and the first game of the series to decide who to keep and who to let go, as the organizations future is being built.  I must confess,  I gave up in anger after the score got to 7-5 in the top of the ninth.  Lo and behold,  when I discovered they had pulled it out 8-7  I was very surprised.  Hyde learned a lot about individual Orioles players today,  for sure.  

Same. I turned it off at 7-5, checked later and went damn, have to catch the replay. 

I wonder if there's a formula (for "Expected Runs" or something) so you could calculate the odds against the O's scoring three to win, with these batters due up:

Peterson .254
Martin .191
Sisco .220
Davis .180
Ruiz .244

Had the same thought about testing mettle, with Ruiz shining pretty brightly against his old team.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I really like this team.  Record might be similar to last years team, the 2019 version will probably end up winning a few more games.  Detroit probably gets the #1 pick.

But this team is infinitely more fun.  

It's all about expectations.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I really like this team.  Record might be similar to last years team, the 2019 version will probably end up winning a few more games.  Detroit probably gets the #1 pick.

But this team is infinitely more fun.  

I’m not ruling them out for the No. 1 pick... awful stretch ahead. We’ll see. 

o

(vs. YANKEES 8/12) ))))))) [GAME TWO]

I was mildly encouraged by the Orioles turning an 11-3 blowout into a competitive 11-8 loss, particularly with the fact that they brought the potential tying run to the plate in the top of the 9th inning with only one out.

A loss is a loss is a loss, but I do appreciate it when this over-matched team goes down swinging (both literally and figuratively.)

o

7 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Hyde: “I Think that the Vibe has been Good All Year”

(By Roch Kubatko)

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/08/hyde-i-think-the-vibe-has-been-good-all-year.html

o

6 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Maybe Chris Davis can join the Beach Boys when his playing days are over. Take it away, Chris.

o

Brian Wilson, on the origins of Good Vibrations ........

It started when he was about 12 years-old in 1954, and he asked his mother why a dog was barking at them as they walked along the sidewalk. She told him, "Son, because some dogs pick up vibrations from some people, but not from other people. And when they pick up bad vibrations, they bark."

And then he asked her, "But what about 'Good Vibrations', Mom"? She told him, "Well, sometimes they pick up 'Good Vibrations.'"

12 years later in early 1966, when Wilson was singing the melody of the new song that he was starting to write to Mike Love, Wilson said, "You know what, Mike? I would like to call it, 'Good Vibrations.'"

o

• 2 weeks later...

o

(vs. NATIONALS, 8/27)

The playoff-hungry Washington Nationals were offensively the hottest team in the Majors, having scored 128 Runs in their last 14 games over a 2-week stretch (an average of 9.14 Runs-Per-Game.)

Aaron Lee Brooks and company didn't flinch, as they went into their ballpark in the nation's Capital and shut them out.

o

• 4 weeks later...

o

(SEPTEMBER 23rd)

In the late 1970's, frustrated Atlanta Braves fans used to facetiously refer to their perennially losing squad as "The Best .400 Team in Baseball."

Similarly, I think that we can refer to this scrappy bunch of 2019 Orioles as "The Best .300 Team in Baseball."

o