Don't Tell Me These O's Ain't Got No Heart

OFFNY

o

(vs. ANGELS, 7/25)

When Steve Wilkerson misplayed a ball allowing 3 Angels runs to score in the bottom of the 7th inning, it looked like curtains for the Orioles.

But that same Steve Wilkerson contributed toward an Oriole comeback by drilling an RBI-double to tie the game in the top of the 8th ........ AND, he wound up pitching a scoreless bottom of the 16th inning to finish the Angels off.

o

27 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. ANGELS, 7/25)

When Steve Wilkerson misplayed a ball allowing 3 Angels runs to score in the bottom of the 7th inning, it looked like curtains for the Orioles.

But that same Steve Wilkerson contributed toward an Oriole comeback by drilling an RBI-double to tie the game in the top of the 8th ........ AND, he wound up pitching a scoreless bottom of the 16th inning to finish the Angels off.

o

o

Shades of the Boston Marathon game from 2012 ........

In that game back in 2012, Adam Jones relayed the ball to JJ Hardy on a double, who threw a strike to Matt Wieters to nail what would have been the winning run at home plate in the bottom of the 16th inning.

In this game, Dwight Smith Jr relayed the ball to Jonathan Villar on a double, who threw a strike to Pedro Severino to nail what would have been the winning run at home plate in the bottom of the 15th inning.

o

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. ANGELS, 7/25)

o

The first time EVER that a position player recorded a save. Crazy.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I actually like this team. 

They don't quit.  They don't care that they're not supposed to be good.  Like a boxer that gets his face beat in and gets up off the canvas asking for more, they're always ready for the next round.  They'll get destroyed one night and come back the next like nothing happened.  

I felt like last years team was sleepwalking through the season by June.  This team, as bad as they've been and as bad as they can be is infinitely more fun to watch.  I'm thrilled that they came out on top of that 16 inning game, that has to be very satisfying.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

They don't quit.  They don't care that they're not supposed to be good.  Like a boxer that gets his face beat in and gets up off the canvas asking for more, they're always ready for the next round.  They'll get destroyed one night and come back the next like nothing happened.  

I felt like last years team was sleepwalking through the season by June.  This team, as bad as they've been and as bad as they can be is infinitely more fun to watch.  I'm thrilled that they came out on top of that 16 inning game, that has to be very satisfying.  

I agree here.

Honestly, having prepared for a long rebuild (which we still have ahead of us), this season has been really fun to watch the Orioles organization as a whole. Gritty MLB team with some pleasant surprises from a roster of basically no-names, that is outperforming one with plenty of names from last year. 

Then, IMO, everything outside of the MLB team has gone about as well as you could expect. It feels like most of the noteworthy prospects have showed out. Each and every night it's felt like there's a positive report. We got the best #1 in years and made a significant international market investment. And now all of that is reflected in a top 10 farm system ranking that many of us thought may be a year or two off. 

I'm feeling good for sure, and this year has felt way better than last year, for lots of reasons. 

4 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Shades of the Boston Marathon game from 2012 ........

In that game back in 2012, Adam Jones relayed the ball to JJ Hardy on a double, who threw a strike to Matt Wieters to nail what would have been the winning run at home plate in the bottom of the 16th inning.

In this game, Dwight Smith Jr relayed the ball to Jonathan Villar on a double, who threw a strike to Pedro Severino to nail what would have been the winning run at home plate in the bottom of the 15th inning.

o

o

Scroll to the 1:18 mark for that play (Jones-to-Hardy-to-Wieters.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4e-6ogFLcI

o

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Refuse to Lose, baby! :)

o

(vs. PADRES, 7/30)

After falling behind by a score of 4-0 early in the game, it looked like the Orioles might be done for.

On getaway day, would they be looking forward to getting on the plane back to Baltimore ??? No. The Orioles battles back for a gutty 8-5 win to split their 2-game series with the men form southern California.

o

• 2 weeks later...

o

(vs. ASTROS, 8/09)

The Orioles barely lost to one of the best teams in baseball, 3-2. They had the potential winning run at the plate with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th inning. Chris Davis worked the count to 2-0 by laying off 2 tough pitches, then hit a ball on the nose, but right into the shift of the Atsros' defense to end the game ........ heartbreaking loss.

(vs. ASTROS, 8/10)

The Orioles were crushed by one of the best teams in baseball, 23-2. It was so bad that they needed to use a position-player to pitch the final 1.33 innings of the contest ........ soul-crushing loss.

o

(vs. ASTROS, 8/11)

One day after taking one of the most thorough beatings in recent memory against one of the best teams in baseball, the Orioles came back to beat them in a thrilling game. Alex Wojciechowski pitched 6 solid innings for the Orioles, and the offense drove Cy Young candidate Justin Verlander from the game after only 5 innings ........ but the Oriole bullpen squandered a 2-run lead in the final 3 innings, and the gritty Birds seemed to be headed for another gut-wrenching defeat. But they rallied for 3 runs in the bottom of the 9th inning against Astros closer Rafael Osuna, capped by a game-winning home run by Rio Ruiz ........ glorious win, showing lots of intestinal fortitude.

o

• Upvote 2