Many roster moves coming.

mark_beckens

In the next few weeks, Roberts, Chen, Reimold and Betemit will all be coming back off the DL. What moves do you expect? Who gets sent down or released.

My guesses

Roberts = Flaherty sent down to play everyday.

Chen = Gausman sent down to start every 5 days

Reimold = Valencia sent down

Betemit = Ishikawa released or traded

Pierce = no clue on this one, doesn't seem to be a spot, has no options

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll take a stab...

They may option Gausman for Jake on Friday. Chen may be able to start on Thursday. If so, Jake goes after his start and a bullpen guy comes up. Maybe Rauch.

Roberts up this weekend, Flaherty down.

Chen up next Thursday, bullpen arm goes.

Pearce replaces Ishikawa.

Reimold has a "set back"

When Betemit is ready, one of Dickerson, Pearce, or Valencia goes if no one else is hurt.

Chen comes up on

I'm really on the warpath about Reimold right now. Danny Valencia has a .918 OPS and can defend at several spots, so why would we send him down for Reimold, who isn't hitting at Norfolk and wasn't hitting in Baltimore before that?

The sad fact is, Reimold looked poised to have a great year last year, had a serious injury that required neck surgery, will never have the same flexibility in his neck that he had before, and simply hasn't looked like the same hitter post-injury that he was pre-injury.

Unless Reimold suddenly gets red-hot and Valencia goes into the freezer, I'd DFA Reimold when his rehab stint has expired. I'm 99% sure nobody is going to claim him.

I've heard it mentioned that Betemit's rehab isn't going too well. Might not expect him too soon. I think Gausman is gone before Chen returns. Who pitches this Friday? I wouldn't be too sure about Reimold/Valencia or Roberts/Flaherty.

I'm really on the warpath about Reimold right now. Danny Valencia has a .918 OPS and can defend at several spots, so why would we send him down for Reimold, who isn't hitting at Norfolk and wasn't hitting in Baltimore before that?

The sad fact is, Reimold looked poised to have a great year last year, had a serious injury that required neck surgery, will never have the same flexibility in his neck that he had before, and simply hasn't looked like the same hitter post-injury that he was pre-injury.

Unless Reimold suddenly gets red-hot and Valencia goes into the freezer, I'd DFA Reimold when his rehab stint has expired. I'm 99% sure nobody is going to claim him.

Exactly right. And if someone does claim him, Godspeed.

Betemit isn't all that close to returning, but I'll give it a stab:

Pearce, Strop and Reimold get DFAd.

Steve Johnson, Chen, and BRob return from injury.

Gausman and Flaherty get optioned.

Ishikawa gets traded to the Brewers for "cash considerations" in light of Hart's setback with the knee.

Urrutia gets called up to Baltimore to DH vs RHPs and play LF vs LHPs.

That's what I'd do at least.

I've heard it mentioned that Betemit's rehab isn't going too well. Might not expect him too soon. I think Gausman is gone before Chen returns. Who pitches this Friday? I wouldn't be too sure about Reimold/Valencia or Roberts/Flaherty.

I heard he was able to do full sprints and take batting practice. I would still not expect him back until after the AS break.

I'm a Reimold supporter generally and I agree with all of this. You can't carry him on this roster right now and I highly doubt anyone claims him. If someone does, well, best of luck to him.

Pearce, Strop and Reimold get DFAd.Steve Johnson, Chen, and BRob return from injury.

Ishikawa gets traded to the Brewers for "cash considerations" in light of Hart's setback with the knee.

Everything bolded is just wrong.

No way we DFA Reimold or Strop.

Gausman will probably remain with the Os.

Urrutia is maybe a september callup.

I'm probably missing something, but why would they option Gausman for Arrieta?

I thought, and I could be wrong, that they brought Gausman up to help the pen in case they needed a long man. They would have brought up Arrieta, but he hadn't spent 10 days in the minors. I don't think they planned on starting Gausman up here. Now, maybe it's not Arrieta who starts on Friday. Maybe it's TJ, maybe it's Jair. I do think that Gausman goes back down on Friday.

Pearce, Strop and Reimold get DFAd.

Steve Johnson, Chen, and BRob return from injury.

Pretty good. I especially like your use of Henry U.

I thought, and I could be wrong, that they brought Gausman up to help the pen in case they needed a long man. They would have brought up Arrieta, but he hadn't spent 10 days in the minors. I don't think they planned on starting Gausman up here. Now, maybe it's not Arrieta who starts on Friday. Maybe it's TJ, maybe it's Jair. I do think that Gausman goes back down on Friday.

You certainly may be right. I think you're correct in that Gausman was brought up for bullpen help if needed, but I guess in my mind if they need a starter for Friday they'd just let him take it rather than shuffle the roster some more. But I could be wrong.

Archived