Marcus Giles signs minor league deal with COL

MChance

Wow, has he ever fallen. Before seeing how poorly he would perform last year, I kinda liked the ATL/BAL trade involving him. Now, one year later, he could be had for a MiLB contract with a ST invite.

I hate to assume, but could this decline be because of something he used to use in the past? Something injectible?

Regardless, I always liked Marcus Giles. It's a shame how far he's fallen.

I hate to assume, but could this decline be because of something he used to use in the past? Something injectible?

No reason to assume that. Guys hit-the-wall for no apparent reason. It happens. It happened to the O's AL-ROY Curt Blefary after 2 good years. Good thing we "got older" by trading him to the Astros for Cuellar when he just 25. (We didn't "get cheaper" though: Cuellar was only making $20K!)

Yeah, go back to 2 years ago at this time, and we might take Giles over Roberts.

3 years maybe. Two years ago Giles was already in premature decline and Roberts had just had his breakout season. The only reason you would have taken Giles at that point would be if you didn't think Roberts was going to be able to come back from his elbow injury.

No reason to assume that. Guys hit-the-wall for no apparent reason. It happens. It happened to the O's AL-ROY Curt Blefary after 2 good years. Good thing we "got older" by trading him to the Astros for Cuellar when he just 25. (We didn't "get cheaper" though: Cuellar was only making $20K!)

It made sense to get older - we'd won 91 games the year before and came in second. It would be the only situation that makes appropriate someone going for Bedard IMO.

Archived