Change of Scenery Working Wonders For Pedro Strop - Not So Much for Arrieta

Old#5fan

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's no longer an Oriole (problem). Thus, no need to continue kicking him while he's down. He had no future in Baltimore, and I'd have no problem with him turning things around elsewhere. All parties should just...move on. Same with Strop.

If there's one thing that 235 Mark Reynolds threads on the OH have taught me, it's that some people just can't move on.

Jakes most recent start was much better, 6 IP 3 H 1 ER 1 BB 9 K. Step in the right direction for him, but we've seen plenty starts like this from him, only for him to completely collapse the following start. Hope he starts having consistent success.

Good. 9:1 K/BB ratio. That'll win some games.

• 1 month later...

Arrieta went 7 innings with 2 hits, 2 walks, 7Ks, and 0 ER today against the Cardinals. His NL ERA is 0.69 this season.

Strop's appeared in 19 games and has an ERA of 2.41. I have no idea what Feldman has been doing -- but so far Cubs fans have been appreciative of the trade.

Arrieta went 7 innings with 2 hits, 2 walks, 7Ks, and 0 ER today against the Cardinals. His NL ERA is 0.69 this season.

Strop's appeared in 19 games and has an ERA of 2.41. I have no idea what Feldman has been doing -- but so far Cubs fans have been appreciative of the trade.

Wow, good for Jake.

I'm watching a replay and I'm astonished, but he appears to be throwing only a two seam FB at 94-96 mph and a sharp CB. No CH and no Cutter.

One of the things that was talked about here repeatedly was getting him to scale back his arsenal, really pare it down. His delivery looked more repeatable today and when he got into trouble he didn't panic.

Ron Culpa gave him a couple of SO on pitches where he expanded the zone, but really for Jake he got into trouble when he threw strikes over the middle of the plate. So, pitching to the corners is what he needs to do more of.

I do think he'll need another pitch, but less is more with him. Commanding the FB is key.

I think most Cubs fans, myself included, (and not counting the meatheads, you know the ones that were crying when the Cubs traded Theriot and Fontenot) are hoping Arrieta can become at least a solid #3/4 for the Cubs. His first two starts with the team have been promising, but I'm waiting to see if Bosio can get him to be consistent before I relax.

Basically, between the two I am hoping one of them can become a long-term asset.

Archived