Trade rumors heat up...

Tony-OH

I hope the Mariners trade goes through as discussed previously-with Clement. I don't like substituting 17 and 19 year old kids who are years away from the Majors if they make it at all.That w/b a stupid trade.

AM is working on getting the franchise to consistently produce young talent, not just one immediate wave of youth. So he will be likely to shoot for a couple guys to contribute now, and another wave to come through in 2010-11. 17-19 year olds with a lot of potential are exactly what he is looking for. Mark my words now, in the draft they will be looking at the highest ceiling HS prospect VERY closely now that they are going full rebuilding mode. (Although I really hope they end up with that Alvarez kid)

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As some other posters have mentioned. Getting young prospects that dont have to be put on the 40 man roster might be useful with us getting back more with Roberts. Besides who we might get back if we unload other players like Millar and Mora or Payton.

One of these guys is probably good as a gamble for the fourth player in the trade. However Sherrill in not a #2 in a trade for Bedard.

Jones, Clement/Morrow, Sherrill and Tillman/Triunfel sounds more like it.

Keep the value high for Bedard or keep Bedard.

I agree that we need high value for Bedard. I'd love to be able to get Jones, Clement, Sherill and one of Tillman/Triunfel, but that is unlikely. The problem is you don't seem to realize that a deal like Jones, Tillman, Tirunfel, and Sherill is a high value return for Bedard. I think we could probably get a touch more, but that is a lot of value right there. Just because someone is further away from the majors, doesn't mean they aren't valuable. They are just more risky. And its more risky for both teams, because the guys that are further away have to have really high ceilings, otherwise they wouldn't be very valuable.

I always wondered how mass hysteria works. Hitler hickups and millions of Germans march off to war. Jim Jones says have a drink, Billick says "take a leap of faith... Bigbird drops a stinkbomb on the board and we spend two hours crapping all over ourselves over an opinion with almost no facts whatsoever to back it up. Amazing.

lol.....bigbird, how do you feel being placed in the same company as hitler and jim jones?

I don't think Angelos vetoing this deal is a mistake. Its not great for how business is run, but there was no way that Roberts was getting traded without Angelos' approval.

I have little doubt that Angelos will approve a Roberts trade, but it needs to be one where we are getting very good value. Not just enough to make the trade. This trade clearly isn't that case.

I don't like to burn posts by saying what I am going to say, but I could not DISAGREE more with what you say here and with most of what you have posted as it relates to Angelos and this BRob trade matter. I find you to be very off base!

This on the other hand is better...

I agree Angelos getting involved is generally not a good thing, and always not a good thing from a communication/process/direction standpoint.

I always wondered how mass hysteria works. Hitler hickups and millions of Germans march off to war. Jim Jones says have a drink, Billick says "take a leap of faith... Bigbird drops a stinkbomb on the board and we spend two hours crapping all over ourselves over an opinion with almost no facts whatsoever to back it up. Amazing.

This post is what's amazing. It should be two steps toward being kicked off the site, IMO. There's no need for this.

Don't you all get it? Angelos reads OH and saw Sports Guy's arguments against the trade so he nixed it. Isn't that clear? :P

Seriously, this raises some big concerns. I for one would rather see our GM (e.g., baseball expert) actually make a bad trade than Angelos be the one to recognize it's a bad trade and nix it. You have to trust your people.

The good news is other insiders have previously posted that Angelos is on board. Let's hope bigbird is off base with his speculation here and that some other factor came into play. I'm an optimist by nature (see my handle) so I think we must allow for that.

Tillman and Triunfel do not look like they will even arrive in the majors before 2011. That is a long time to wait for a return on Bedard.

Not in the case of Triunfel. He will probably start this season at AA, and if not he will definitely play a significant part of this season at AA, and when that happens anything is possible. There is a very good chance that he arrives in the majors around the same time as Matt Wieters.

A few unusual players actually do hit the majors before age 20. But they are almost always great ones.

This post is what's amazing. It should be two steps toward being kicked off the site, IMO. There's no need for this.

Hoosiers, what gives? I'm only commenting on how we're literally jumping over a cliff because BB posted an opinion. Yes, it was hyperboly. No, I don't think BB is Hitler or that we're little Nazi's. And, I thought adding Billick's leap of faith comment made my point that it applies in smaller areas too.

And when did you get named boss of who can and can't be criticized anyway?

Hoosiers, what gives? I'm only commenting on how we're literally jumping over a cliff because BB posted an opinion. Yes, it was hyperboly. No, I don't think BB is Hitler or that we're little Nazi's. And, I thought adding Billick's leap of faith comment made my point that it applies in smaller areas too.

And when did you get named boss of who can and can't be criticized anyway?

To quote How I Met Your Mother, "you mean figuratively!!!"

Archived