Trade rumors heat up...

Tony-OH

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dislike what Angelos has done to this once proud franchise as much as the other guy, but I have to stand up for him here.

Let's say, for example, you're a millionaire and you want to build a brand new hotel in the downtown Baltimore area. The construction company who is building your hotel comes to you with their plans. You disagree with some of the plans they propose. Do you go along with the builder because someone walking in off the street tells you they plan on staying in this hotel and they want what the builder proposed? Also, does the builder walk off the job because the owner of the hotel tells him no to his plan?

Moreover, I am sure that AM is generally keeping Angelos in the loop as to what is being talked about in terms of trades. You don't know what AM is telling Angelos when he puts the deal on the table. He might be saying we should definitely do this, or maybe he is saying that he is on the fence and could go either way given Roberts' intangible value to the team.

Also, I don't want to empower Angelos but the last two trades he reportedly nixed for Roberts and Tejada (Aybar & Santana) were awfully good decisions. Finally, I wouldn't put it past the Orioles to be using Angelos as the bad cop in the negotiations.

There is not a business owner in the world that completely delegates major decisions about his business to someone else. If the trade is so great, AM should be able to convince Angelos of it.

Hoosiers, what gives? I'm only commenting on how we're literally jumping over a cliff because BB posted an opinion. Yes, it was hyperboly. No, I don't think BB is Hitler or that we're little Nazi's. And, I thought adding Billick's leap of faith comment made my point that it applies in smaller areas too.

And when did you get named boss of who can and can't be criticized anyway?

Is that like a really, really fast boly?

And, we have some players who should literally jump off a cliff.

A plausible conclusion, but not the only one possible. Reading Tony's article, it appears the deal was pulled so that pieces could be added to the trade.

It's time to chill out and wait to see what happens, rather than guessing at what is happening and why.

This bears repeating.

Everyone take a deep breath. Let's start hating Angelos AFTER the deal falls apart for sure, okay? :D

I agree that we need high value for Bedard. I'd love to be able to get Jones, Clement, Sherill and one of Tillman/Triunfel, but that is unlikely. The problem is you don't seem to realize that a deal like Jones, Tillman, Tirunfel, and Sherill is a high value return for Bedard. I think we could probably get a touch more, but that is a lot of value right there. Just because someone is further away from the majors, doesn't mean they aren't valuable. They are just more risky. And its more risky for both teams, because the guys that are further away have to have really high ceilings, otherwise they wouldn't be very valuable.

Overall very few guys become regular in is the majors. Many more bomb somewhere along the line. We are well familar with the Riley's of the world. Right now one of the O's #1 draft choice is questionable in Snyder. Is he really goes to hit? Can he play defense?

The lower the level of the prospect the less he has proven. Tillman and Triunfel are anything but sure things. Bedard is a close to a sure thing as it gets. The O's deserve high value and lower risk in return. I don't know that the O's should even consider a deal with the Mariner without getting Jones and Morrow or Clements in return. None of these three have proven anything in the majors but they have a better chance to give value in return then guys playing at lower levels.

If Tillman or Triunfel can be added as the third of fourth guys fine. But Bedard is not a high risk guy and the return should provide a least two guys with minimum risk. They are still just prospects after all.

If Tillman or Triunfel can be added as the third of fourth guys fine. But Bedard is not a high risk guy and the return should provide a least two guys with minimum risk. They are still just prospects after all.

2 guys like Sherrill and Jones? Jones can be our CF for years to come. We can let Sherrill close this season, and deal him at the deadline.

Overall very few guys become regular in is the majors. Many more bomb somewhere along the line. We are well familar with the Riley's of the world. Right now one of the O's #1 draft choice is questionable in Snyder. Is he really goes to hit? Can he play defense?

The lower the level of the prospect the less he has proven. Tillman and Triunfel are anything but sure things. Bedard is a close to a sure thing as it gets. The O's deserve high value and lower risk in return. I don't know that the O's should even consider a deal with the Mariner without getting Jones and Morrow or Clements in return. None of these three have proven anything in the majors but they have a better chance to give value in return then guys playing at lower levels.

WC, using your "standards/criteria" the O's would NEVER be able to trade BRob or Bedard. I say to you..NEVER.

Hmmm.......

Fortunatly, or unfortunately im kicked back on my couch with a mild case of the flu grading papers for my wife and getting sucked into the OH blackhole periodically.......

Man this would be so much better if i wasnt sick and had a beer.......;)

You grade papers for your wife as well? Being married to a teacher is a lot of work, isn't it? Almost as much work as being an Os fan...:D

Great post. I fully agree and hope the O's have good things coming in the next week or two.

I agree Angelos getting involved is generally not a good thing, and always not a good thing from a communication/process/direction standpoint.

The biggest idiot you ever met is right part of the time.

That's the problem with selective outrage. Sometimes when Angelos meddles he will actually appear to be right (or at least will appear to be right). So if you reserve your disapproval only for the times when he is dead wrong (or appears to be wrong) then you will always find times when, hey, he's not really such a bad owner after all.

But I'm not that tolerant. To me the question is whether he should be meddling or not. If he is back to substituting his baseball knowledge (such as it is) for that of his GM, then I don't see that anything has changed. All he has done is streamline the process somewhat.

Frankly, to me, if Angelos is directly involved at this level of baseball operations, to the point of saying to a completed deal, "I don't like these players, get me some others," then there is no realistic hope that this team gets better while he is around.

But you're probably more optimistic than I am.

Would everyone agree that with Bedard and Roberts either both have to be traded or both have to stay. To me it makes no sense to trade one and not the other. With that being said, I think the trades have to be on the table and ready for final approval at the same time in order to be sure that there are no duplicate parts coming back. I sure hope we are looking to unload some of the older guys like Millar, Payton, Mora, etc. if we are truly going to rebuild. Thanks and God bless.

Archived