Trade rumors heat up...

Tony-OH

Getting a bullpen arm who is not a proven closer as the 2nd player in not the kind of value the O's should be looking for IMO.

If there are a couple of high ceiling top prospects that come along w/those two it should be acceptable value. MacPhail may be holding out for the closer to the bigs type of prospect where the ceiling is lower but the risk is lower as well. The kind of deal that five years from now has the likelyhood of being one where the O's can say that they came out ahead trading a talent like Bedard. Or they could target a couple of those high ceiling young guys and have the opportunity of having a deal that five years from now will be seen as a move where the Orioles fleeced the Mariners albeit with the risk of it being one where we look back and say the O's could of done better.

With the current condition of the franchise we aren't going to win with Bedard during his remaining time in Baltimore and it is questionable at best that we could sign him to an extension at some point over the next two years. We should be willing to take more risks with top tier young talent and maybe it'll finally be the Orioles who score a Grady Sizemore type player in a trade.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let me throw out another option.

Angelos: This looks good, depending on what you get in return from TEAM X

McPhail: Agreed. I am working on an offer right now that would return us player A, B, C and I'm attempting to get player D.

Angelos: If you get player D, I'll approve both trades. I'm more comfortable we'll have a full product to offer the fan base next year

McPhail: Let me see where TEAM X is on our latest offer and I'll get back to you shortly.

While this has some funny components, there allegedly were discussions about sending BRob and Bedard to one team - in such a scenario you can somewhat pick your positions you get in return. However, since the return may not be as great as what you'd get working with 2 teams, they could have gone down the 2 team path.

These are the last 2 significant rebuilding trading chips we have. I'd like to make sure we get them right.

Get with the times! Angelos is obviously a Nazi, even though none of us know what's actually going on. ;)

perhaps you should take a look at his numbers last year and rethink your opinion on Mr. Phillips.

Phillips is a hacker who plays in the smallest park in baseball. He's Soriano lite. But the casual fans love him cause he plays defense, hits for average, and smiles a lot. The anti-Dunn.

This is probably close to true, but it's so wrong. If I'm the Reds, I'm very interested in finding out what I can get for Phillips, who's flashy but not that difficult to replace.

An .816 OPS is almost impossible to replace at 2b currently, especially one with gold glove defense.

I was going to respond to your follwoing post but this one proves that you are out in left field, and that's being kind.
Whether or not you agree on Phillips, I have worked in a front office (no, not the O's, I have no insiders) and I can assure you that that kind of approval from ownership goes on with every team.

Perhaps "more untouchable than Bruce" is a stretch. But the guy hit 7 more home runs last year than any Oriole. He was a 30/30 guy. He plays a pretty premium position (More premium than Nick Markakis at least). To think the Reds would include Phillips as the 2nd/3rd/4th player in a deal for Bedard is fantastical.

Whether or not you agree on Phillips, I have worked in a front office (no, not the O's, I have no insiders) and I can assure you that that kind of approval from ownership goes on with every team.

Perhaps "more untouchable than Bruce" is a stretch. But the guy hit 7 more home runs last year than any Oriole. He was a 30/30 guy. He plays a pretty premium position (More premium than Nick Markakis at least). To think the Reds would include Phillips as the 2nd/3rd/4th player in a deal for Bedard is fantastical.

So you're saying he should be the 1st?!

Jim Hendry and the Cubs don't operate that way, so you probably ought to pull back a bit on the sweeping generalizations.

And somehow I find it highly doubtful that Mr. Bavasi is running his trade ideas up the flagpole to the Nintendo execs in Japan.

Everybody is going nuts over a guess that one person made based on information that was relayed to him which, due to conflicting reports/sources, may not even be true. Overreact much? Its funny how bigbird can throw the board into a mass panic with just a few words.

Well it's not like what BB said was without precedent... Angelos has a long, storied history of meddling with GM's.

Archived