Orioles Want Pie Added

hardrock75

That doesn't matter. A plus defensive shortstop should be able to pretty consistently make throws that the average first baseman can catch without extreme difficulty.

Not when that player has a range twice the size of a SS like Theriot, he's going to make attempts on plays Theriot can't dream of and will sometimes throw it away, he doesn't throw away all sorts of easy throws

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When did he break his ankle? I see he only had 245 ab's in AA, so I would assume he broke his ankle during the season?? If so, I think it is reach to say it effected him the next year.(not saying it isn't possible)

Fair enough...Other Cubs fans think it is lopsided...Sorry to include you in that group.

I believe it was midseason he broke his ankle

He started '06 in a slump IIRC (whether it was an effect of the ankle, I can't say, I don't know) and rebounded decently

Fun fact: If not for Pie's broken ankle in 2005, he would've been called up to the Cubs. Intead, it was Matt Murton who was called up and raked enough to earn the starting LF job in 2006

I believe it was midseason he broke his ankle

He started '06 in a slump IIRC (whether it was an effect of the ankle, I can't say, I don't know) and rebounded decently

Fun fact: If not for Pie's broken ankle in 2005, he would've been called up to the Cubs. Intead, it was Matt Murton who was called up and raked enough to earn the starting LF job in 2006

Pie had a very good April and really struggled in May and June before rebounding with a good second half:

http://www.minorleaguesplits.com/pl/429/429712IowPCLb06.html

Bigbird said it was his opinion.

Frankly, I don't think that deal was ever very close. You don't from accepting that offer to asking for Pie, which is what the word on the street is now. Sounds like that was just bad info all around. PA had nothing to do with it, IMO.

Absolutely agreed. Kudos!

No way. PGA had to be in on it. I'm convinced he was the deal breaker. It's been confirmed from way too many sources (and no reason to rip the Cub fans over the ineptitude of our organization).

I think PGA has been blowing smoke up AM's skirt since his hire - convincing AM that he would have all of this autonomy. In reality, Pete's still Pete and when push comes to shove, he's still going to call the shots regardless of what his own baseball people think. Pete's got the money and power to run this organization into the ground anyway he wants....and that's just what he's done for the last 10+ years and will continue to do until the team if finally sold.

Just think guys - if it's this bad now, imagine how great it will finally be one day when he's no longer in power! Keep that dream alive. One day it will finally come true.

No way. PGA had to be in on it. I'm convinced he was the deal breaker. It's been confirmed from way too many sources (and no reason to rip the Cub fans over the ineptitude of our organization).

I think PGA has been blowing smoke up AM's skirt since his hire - convincing AM that he would have all of this autonomy. In reality, Pete's still Pete and when push comes to shove, he's still going to call the shots regardless of what his own baseball people think. Pete's got the money and power to run this organization into the ground anyway he wants....and that's just what he's done for the last 10+ years and will continue to do until the team if finally sold.

Just think guys - if it's this bad now, imagine how great it will finally be one day when he's no longer in power! Keep that dream alive. One day it will finally come true.

And that day can't come soon enough for me! Good riddance.

Sports Guy received confirmation that Angelos didn't have anything to do with it.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1161587#post1161587

Anybody think the deal was nixed by the request of AM? Angelos would look like the bad guy, but McPhail wouldn't. If Bedard is traded to Cleveland, maybe they came with a good offer late inthe game. If all this Adam Miller talk is true, I take him over Gallagher also. You could flip Miller for good value, maybe even that elusive shortstop we have all been talking about.

Hi Guys ... Worked late friday so I'm in on the back end of this.

After reading each & every post here while not being involved in the heated back & forth blogging I've gathered these conclusions.

The Cubs fans here don't value Roberts like their baseball people do.

With that being said they are glad to have him for Cedeno "making a ton of errors" that hasn't proved he can hit major league pitching. Marshall who is a #4 or #5 starter. Gallagher I really cant say anything bad about except heres another 2-3 potential starter. Gallagher's minor league stats look to be close to Olson's. He was certainly rushed in 2007 & should probably spend 2008 starting at AAA. The deal that was said to have been completed didn't include Murton unless I missed it. I like Murton as a 4th OF/DH guy by the way.

Trading a everyday starting (All-Star) 2B for A very good pitching prospect & 2 guys the Cubs don't seem to value tells me everything I need to know.

I didn't like the deal very much... To be honest I think Pie is incredibly overrated, especially in this thread. This 5 tools potential guy screams loudly "Jeffrey Hammonds". I could see the O's taking Pie & Gallagher I guess, but I can't say I like that deal either. I actually prefer resigning Patterson at 27 is still young & would IMO will be a better Offensive threat at least in 2008 ( SB % is much better & he will hit around .270).

I'm hoping that Peter wasn't involved & AM just had a change of heart or Cleveland jumped in at the last minute & caused him to mash the breaks.

I don't bash Joey & the Cubs fans to talk down Roberts as a way to try to undervalue him. Unless you are a Orioles fan or someone who frequently watched them play the clubhouse morale couldn't have been any lower. Most likely affecting nearly every player on the team performance wise.

Nor do I mind them overvaluing Pie & Gallagher. We don't get a vote on these deals so it just doesn't matter.

Just a thought on the Cleveland deal... The Position prospect Guitierrez looked better than Cedeno offensively ( If they bring in a SS prospect he ought to be a considerable upgrade offensively over L Hernandez or they should wait until they find one that does). Miller has the scouting report to make you want him over Gallagher. But consider this I'd rather have a potential #2 who's Durable than a potential #1 that has injury bust written all over him just my opinion.

Lastly I am not saying we shouldn't trade Roberts & I believe its the only way for the Orioles to expedite their rebuilding plan (Along with moving Bedard).

Here's a blog from the CST from a few days ago that describes the deal of Gallagher, Marshall and Cedeno for Roberts as a steal for the Cubbies.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/fullcourtpress/2008/01/chicago_baseball_rumor_mill.html

So clearly there are perspectives from even the Cubs camp that acknowledge this is not a good deal for the O's.

If the Cubs don't trade Colvin or Pie in this deal, how can it be upgraded to make it acceptable to both teams.

When you look at the deal, only Gallagher is among the Cubs top ten propects according to BA, at number 5. The sheen has come off of Cedeno, who used to be among the Cubs top prospects but hasn't proven he can hit in the majors. Marshall, for my money, is a very weak link. he's a soft tosser who doesn't stike many people out.

In order for this to be a fair deal both sides have to fee a little pain. I get the impression that Cubs fans are greeting the loss of the current three players with a shrug of the shoulders. For me the cubs need to improve the deal, either in terms of quality, add Colvin remove Marshall, or quantity add Murton and Patterson to the current three.

Archived