Eff this ish

Moose Milligan

You may be an ambassador to England or France

You may like to gamble, you might like to dance

You have to serve somebody. It may be Angelos or it may be the fans...

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xrdn20"></iframe><br /><a href="

" target="_blank">Bob Dylan - Gotta Serve Somebody</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/f1218300711" target="_blank">f1218300711</a></i>

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure you can say the exciting moves rarely pay off. Exciting moves for the Yankees have put them in the playoffs in 17 of the last 19 seasons! Can anyone even imagine what it would be like if the Orioles were in the post season in 17 of the past 19 years? I would settle for 2 post season trips every 19 years if I knew they were guaranteed.

Of course the Orioles can not match the Yankees when it comes to spending. But it sure would be nice to see them make a splash once in a while.

The Yankees are good because the CORE of their team is solid home grown talent, and then they add to that by signing the better free agents available. They have been in the playoffs 17 of 19 years due to their own home grown talent.

The Yankees are good because the CORE of their team is solid home grown talent, and then they add to that by signing the better free agents available. They have been in the playoffs 17 of 19 years due to their own home grown talent.

I don't think that's accurate. I'd be interested in seeing a listing of the "home grown" Yankees by year over that period, and what each team would've looked like without free agents. Not saying the Yankees would have been bad, but FA's have certainly kept them playoff competitive, which is a job their home grown players could not have managed on their own, IMO.

Here's the catch though. They are able to KEEP all of that talent. Consider: Wieters, Davis, Machado. The Yankees keep all those guys. The O's will not.

Well, none of us know what the future will bring, but recent history doesn't seem to support your statement. The Orioles did extend Roberts, Markakis, and Jones. Who, exactly, have they failed to keep that falls into the "star" category? BTW, the Yankees just let Cano go.

I don't think that's accurate. I'd be interested in seeing a listing of the "home grown" Yankees by year over that period, and what each team would've looked like without free agents. Not saying the Yankees would have been bad, but FA's have certainly kept them playoff competitive, which is a job their home grown players could not have managed on their own, IMO.

I never said the home grown guys did it alone. What I said was the Yankees are good because they had a solid core of homegrown guys that were enhanced by the free agent signings. Look at Toronto last year and the Marlins of years past. That was a team that tried to buy a championship, but because they didn't have the solid core, they sucked. The Yankees meanwhile have had Jeter, Posada, Mariano, Bernie Williams, Cano, Soriano, Gardner, Pettite, etc.

Now, where the Yanks REALLY do NEED the free agents in their pitchers. I would agree with you that most of their solid pitchers have come through free agency because they have more money to give out than anyone else.

I knew you had it together. Ms. Bertinelli was at the top of my wish list for a LONG TIME. Damn, I loved that woman. I am ridiculously lucky that Rox decided to settle down with a cretin like me, but I'd struggle if Valerie walked up today and asked me to run away with her. I kid. I kid. I'd stay put

I think....

:)

Back off, friend, I'm much closer to her age than you. :D Besides, she's a fellow Italian

I just think that is the wrong mentality. Tampa looks at every year as the year. Sometimes that means trading guys like Shields. Those are risky and painful moves but that is how they compete year after year on a fraction of the Orioles' budget, let alone the Yankees.

True, but you must first draft guys like Shields. When you have a chronic inability to draft even serviceable starting pitchers, that becomes a bit of a problem.

Archived