Connolly: Orioles Focused on Adding SP, Not CL

luismatos4prez

Link to Article

Summary:

They have seemingly ditched the idea of signing a high-priced closer but still want at least one vet SP

Orioles won't be in on Garza, Santana, or Jimenez unless they accept 3 year deals. Plus, they want to keep 1st rounder.

Arroyo makes the most sense for the Orioles (Burnett fits the criteria too, though he isn't mentioned)

They'd also like to sign another backup catcher according to a source, perhaps Michael McKenry.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Link to Article

Summary:

Orioles won't be in on Garza, Santana, or Jimenez unless they accept 3 year deals.

Orioles really don't want to give up 1st round draft pick

Arroyo makes the most sense for the Orioles

They have seemingly ditched the idea of signing a high-priced closer.

They'd also like to sign another backup catcher according to a source, perhaps Michael McKenry.

Can't really disagree with their approach of any of these, except I'd probably go 4 years for Garza.

Given the choice between Rodney and Hunter, I take Hunter because I just don't see it with Rodney, and his penchant for spectacular blow ups and meltdowns would have people longing for Jim Johnson, or heck to a lesser extent George Sherrill. Not to say I'm fully confident in Hunter, because I'm not, nor am I content with the fact that as presently constructed I still see the Orioles in a state that would require having to rely on the closer far too much, although getting a legitimate starter, be it Burnett, Arroyo, or one of the others mentioned, would certainly help that cause.

I'm ok with Hunter/O'Day attempting to close games, but if that's the case, they really need to sign another reliever to shore up the 7th/8th innings or for bullpen depth in general.

Yeah, this is totally fine with me. Sign Arroyo and go in-house for closer. If they had gone after someone like LoMo or Hart, then this actually wouldn't have been that terrible of an offseason.

I really hope they pony up a few extra bucks and another year or two to sign Garza rather than Arroyo, especially if they're not going to sign a closer. Arroyo at his age and pitching style really scare me with our ballpark and facing AL East lineups.

I really hope they pony up a few extra bucks and another year or two to sign Garza rather than Arroyo, especially if they're not going to sign a closer. Arroyo at his age and pitching style really scare me with our ballpark and facing AL East lineups.

In fairness, AL East lineups are not what they once were. Additionally, Arroyo has posted solid numbers with the Reds for a while, including when the NL Central included Pujols on the Cardinals, the duo of Braun and Fielder in Milwaukee, and Lee/ARam/Soriano in Chicago.

I like how they say if the market goes down for any of the pitchers they would be interested. Why would they think the market would go down? The prices will only go up. If they wanted to sign for the current market price they would have signed already. The hope of a top pitcher signing for the 1 year 7 million dollar contract that they are willing to offer is a waste of time. Just stop wasting their time talking to free agents or talking about them to the press. Just say we can't afford them with out budget and move on.

Can't really disagree with their approach of any of these, except I'd probably go 4 years for Garza.

I think you can basically disagree with the entire approach to the offseason -- which at this point seems like "wake up each morning and see if we think of anything."

If we spend 12M on a starter, our opening day salary would be only 1M higher than last year. It's becoming clear that he's going with the "I'll keep 5M in payroll flexibility for midseason moves" strategy again. I haven't decided how I feel about that.

It won't matter. We can't change it. I am just glad that they will try to get another SP.

I think you can basically disagree with the entire approach to the offseason -- which at this point seems like "wake up each morning and see if we think of anything."

That's true as well. Some of the Orioles' strategies make sense on a micro level, but in the big-picture view, they all seem to be adding up to "Let's not do much of anything."

The Balfour thing definitely changed things. Seems to me they had a plan to trade Johnson and his salary, sign 2 relief pitchers (Webb and a less expensive closer) get a LH bat and a starter. Yes, he plan seems to have changed because of Balfour but I don't think I'd be quite has critical as you make it sound. Things change. Plan change. Would it be smart to sign the closer at any price or get a closer that you don't really want in the first place?

Again, the time for being critical is still a little premature.

And yes, I think the approach does have a lot to do with "Let's see who becomes a bargain or whose price drops". That is not an aggressive approach for sure but it isn't necessarily a terrible one for Duquette.

Even before the Balfour (non-)signing, the Orioles' plan seemed suspect. They were sitting on their heels doing nothing while many options (both expensive and not) landed elsewhere. I don't quite understand the "stay out of the bidding for everyone and wait for the scraps" approach when the team should have money to spend.

That's true as well. Some of the Orioles' strategies make sense on a micro level, but in the big-picture view, they all seem to be adding up to "Let's not do much of anything."

It may seem that way. But there must be things going on we don't see as fans of

the O's. I still think there will be some trades made.

Archived