Jim Fregosi Dies

csh_83

The first year I really started to pay attention to baseball was 1979 the year the Orioles managed by Earl Weaver and the Angels managed by Jim Fregosi met in the ALCS. Weaver dies on a cruise ship and about a year later Fregosi suffers a stroke on a cruise ship that eventually kills him.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2014/02/14/jim-fregosi-former-manager-all-star-dies/5468509/

The first year I really started to pay attention to baseball was 1979 the year the Orioles managed by Earl Weaver and the Angels managed by Jim Fregosi met in the ALCS. Weaver dies on a cruise ship and about a year later Fregosi suffers a stroke on a cruise ship that eventually kills him.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2014/02/14/jim-fregosi-former-manager-all-star-dies/5468509/

So, no cruise ships, eh? My wife doesn't like them anyway.

RIP, Jim. He was the Angels' starting SS when I first became a fan.

Very interesting note from Roch

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If Buck had moved into front office role, Fregosi would have been one of his 1st phone calls while looking for new manager</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">February 14, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A very good career that included 8 consecutive seasons of finishing in the Top-25 for the M.V.P. between 1963 and 1970, 6 All-Star appearances, and one Gold Glove Award, overshadowed by the fact that he was traded for Nolan Ryan in 1971.

I saw him play for the Mets when we went to a lot of their games at Shea Stadium in the summer of 1972.

I also remember him playing a game for the Pirates against the Phillies on a Saturday afternoon in 1977 (the game was nationally televised.)

Archived