Walks Are Not as Good as Hits

gpolee

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just looking at bb-ref, Carter had 55.6 oWAR in 9,019 career PA's, while Tettleton was at 34.5 in 5,745. So, right, Carter was better offensively than Tettleton: 55.6 to 34.5. But if you adjust for PA's, then 34.5 / 5,745 x 9,019 = 54.2. So when Tettleton played, he was roughly as good an offensive player as Carter.

* Waiting for the people who really understand WAR to tell me I'm wrong. *

I'd go with wRC+. Basically the oWAR input without the positional adjustments. Tettleton played some 360 games at other positions including DH while it looks like Carter only played about 200 or so games at OF/1b and no DH. Tettleton's oWAR value is going to be run down a bit using that as a comparison.

Sure. He hates stats and goes with his gut, like a real baseball fan. Big fan of Luis Hernandez.

Well, I love the stats: Bill James' Abstract starting in the '80s, Strato, Roto... Lots of fun. But they are only a reflection of reality, not reality unto itself.

I'd go with wRC+. Basically the oWAR input without the positional adjustments. Tettleton played some 360 games at other positions including DH while it looks like Carter only played about 200 or so games at OF/1b and no DH. Tettleton's oWAR value is going to be run down a bit using that that as a comparison.

I honestly don't know the answer, but I would love to see the wRC+ of Altuve vs. Callaspo, if that is the best metric. Can you provide?

I honestly don't know the answer, but I would love to see the wRC+ of Altuve vs. Callaspo, if that is the best metric. Can you provide?

Altuve - 85

Callaspo - 99

Looks like Callaspo is the clear winner here. If you're looking for a stat that proves BA > OBP, maybe you should just stick with BA.

Altuve - 85

Callaspo - 99

Looks like Callaspo is the clear winner here. If you're looking for a stat that proves BA > OBP, maybe you should just stick with BA.

I was hoping he would look at the site and educate himself. Sounds like the last time he read anything about analytics was in the 1970's.

Archived