Ryan Flaherty - Losing his lock on 2B?

NCRaven

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Weeks has massive speed. Schoop needs to be at AAA.

Massive speed doesn't mean much if he's got a hard time getting on base. Hopefully that speed could translate into some nice defensive range though.

I don't understand why Schoop "needs" to be at AAA. If he mashes all spring, what's the point?

What this spring training competition shows me is that the 2B question mark is not whether we have a solution, but which potential solution to choose. Over the course of 162 games, we might not get a ton of offense out of the position, but I think there is no longer a reason to worry that it will be a black hole in the lineup.

btw... Brian Roberts slash line as of this morning = .167/.333/.167.

Jetuh to Roberts to Tex - gold! :eektf:

Massive speed doesn't mean much if he's got a hard time getting on base. Hopefully that speed could translate into some nice defensive range though.

I don't understand why Schoop "needs" to be at AAA. If he mashes all spring, what's the point?

Weeks will be on the bench, where he belongs. Schoop will be at Norfolk to refine his D.

I think Buck is thinking this way: Flaherty has already proven he can play a very good 2B, and probably doesn't need a full spring of reps to get ready. Meanhile, Buck needs to figure out what his options are going to be if Manny isn't ready by March 31, or if Hardy goes down with an injury or just needs a blow. So, getting Flaherty some reps and SS and 3B is only prudent, even though it's likely that Flaherty will mostly be at 2B.

:agree:

Its the morning of March 8th. The O's have played 7 ST games. They have 22 ST games before opening day. The pitchers are not at their best yet. They tire after an inning or two right now. Their breaking stuff will improve.

What if Flaherty and Schoop don't see another fastball? How will they do?

Wait. There is more to happen before a decision is made.

Flaherty is the front runner and he's not losing his grip. Scoop is waiting in the wings and i could see him getting a call up as early as May if Flash struggles. Scoop will be brought up even if he doesn't "tear up" AAA. Manny was.

Why are we still debating this?

Flaherty will be our starting 2B. Weeks will be our UTIL / PR. Schoop will be playing everyday at AAA.

Lets not rush Schoop up here. I think Buck really wants him to prove himself at the AAA level and I am sure he will tear it up down there and the FO will deal with this when the time is right.

Having Flaherty start the season at 2B is not going to hurt this team / season at all. We all know what production we got out of this position last year so lets not go :drek: .

One problem is that Weeks is not really a utility guy. He has played 6 seasons in the minors, all except 23 games (at ss) at 2b and has never played third base or first base. Flaherty IS a utility guy, but Weeks right now is not. I still think Casilla or Gonzalez will be more likely utility guy candidates than Weeks. Or, what I think is really going on, is that Buck is really considering if Schoop can show in spring training that he can be the second baseman and Flaherty will be the Melvin Mora type utility guy.

If they keep Weeks, he won't be backing up SS and 3B. Flash will, even though he will still be the primary starting 2B. Interesting, Flash is back on the bus today and Schoop is starting his first home game.

You have to send a certain amount of "regulars" on road trips. As one of the junior players who qualify for the title it is not a shock he is spending time on the road.

If they keep Weeks, he won't be backing up SS and 3B. Flash will, even though he will still be the primary starting 2B. Interesting, Flash is back on the bus today and Schoop is starting his first home game.

Not sure that I have ever seen that where your regular second baseman is also your utility guy for SS, 3B, 1B.

Archived