Schoop Making the Team

jtschrei

If he's playing well enough to stick, do what the Rays did with Longoria. Offer him a team friendly long term deal and tell him if he doesn't accept it he's going down for a couple of months to preserve his service time.

They could do this, but the MLBPA is filing a grievance against the Astros because they did exactly this to George Springer.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They could do this, but the MLBPA is filing a grievance against the Astros because they did exactly this to George Springer.

Did the O's offer Schoop a long term deal? Then I don't see where the similarity is.

What the O's have is a player on the DL and a guy that can replace him on the 25 man roster. When the player on the DL is back, the player replacing him is sent back down. I don't see why it happening at the start of the season is different from it happening in July.

I'm pleased that Schoop will make the club out of Spring Training. However, once Machado comes back then it will very likely be optimal from a pure baseball point of view to send Schoop back to Norfolk. He needs regular reps, and he won't get them if Flaherty, Machado and Hardy are ensconced as regulars. Even if Schoop is outhitting Flaherty a month from now, it makes baseball sense for the O's to give Flaherty a long leash this year, because they need to know if he can be a regular player (or at least a platoon regular), which among other things affects their decision on what to do with JJ Hardy after this year.

In my opinion the only way that Schoop stays in Baltimore all season is if there is an injury to Hardy or Flaherty (or a setback for Machado), or if Flaherty is so bad that the team needs to replace him to stay in contention.

This will be interesting for sure.

Let's say Schoop and Flaherty are both hitting well in the first few weeks, but Lough isn't. This scenario is certainly possible. Would Showalter consider playing Cruz in LF more instead of DH and keeping Schoop on the roster as a primary DH?

I'd guess Schoop is ticketed back for AAA unless he really wows us, but if he does get off to a hot start it'll be an interesting question, especially if Flaherty or Lough are struggling offensively.

It's impossible to know at this point, down to the exact day, but we can get pretty close by looking at past years. Here's a breakdown of the Super Two cutoff in terms of player service time:

2013: 2.122 (two years and 122 days)

2012: 2.139

2011: 2.146

2010: 2.122

2009: 2.139

Right now Schoop is at 0.027

The cutoff changed in the latest CBA that went into effect after the 2011 season. It used to be that the most senior 17% of players with 2+ (but less than 3) years of service were Super 2's, and now it's the top 22%. So, pre-2012 data must be viewed with that in mind.

I think overall they want to know if Flaherty can play 3B and hit. Can he play 2nd and hit. Can he hit (see the theme with Flaherty)?

Is Schoop better off at 2nd or 3rd?

All this is telling me is that they are planning with an Orioles team without JJ Hardy.

I think overall they want to know if Flaherty can play 3B and hit. Can he play 2nd and hit. Can he hit (see the theme with Flaherty)?

Is Schoop better off at 2nd or 3rd?

All this is telling me is that they are planning with an Orioles team without JJ Hardy.

do you they have given up, or is this just planning, in the event, they can't resign him?

That's a good question I don't think we know the answer to....

I dont blame them for covering their bases (no pun intended), I just hope they haven't given up on JJ.

I still think a 2-3 year deal under the right terms would be the right path to take, but that is just IMO.

I'm pleased that Schoop will make the club out of Spring Training. However, once Machado comes back then it will very likely be optimal from a pure baseball point of view to send Schoop back to Norfolk. He needs regular reps, and he won't get them if Flaherty, Machado and Hardy are ensconced as regulars. Even if Schoop is outhitting Flaherty a month from now, it makes baseball sense for the O's to give Flaherty a long leash this year, because they need to know if he can be a regular player (or at least a platoon regular), which among other things affects their decision on what to do with JJ Hardy after this year.

In my opinion the only way that Schoop stays in Baltimore all season is if there is an injury to Hardy or Flaherty (or a setback for Machado), or if Flaherty is so bad that the team needs to replace him to stay in contention.

Very good answer. Just about everything here, including the situation with Hardy. It has to be in the back of Dan's mind.

Schoop needs to be here right now and there is a contingency for him to stay but it isn't likely.

I mean he has been highly successfuly against high level pitching. wbc , his few games for the Os last year. And ST this year. In excelled in all 3 instances

This is just not true. I've posted this before, but the last time Schoop cracked a .715 OPS over more than 200 PA was the first half of 2011 in Single A Delmarva. Since then, he's put up the following:

A+ Frederick: .704 OPS over 329 PA

AA Bowie: .710 OPS over 555 PA

AAA Norfolk: .697 OPS over 289 PA

Add up the two AFL appearances, his 2013 cup of coffee, and the 2014 Grapefruit league and you're talking barely over 200 PA, accumulated sporadically in short stints against mixed competition.

Archived