Schoop over Flaherty?

Bahama O's Fan

The person being left out of this conversation, that may be sent down when Manny comes back is Lombardozzi. Don't get me wrong I like him. He's shown a decent bat from the left side and defensive versatility. However, I have concerns about his arm. It doesn't look particularly strong. He's had difficulty making the turn on double plays and has struggled.on several throws.
Does he have options? Who would you rather have as your UTL: him or Flaherty? Do you platoon Flaherty and Schoop? Do you give Manny some extra days off to get back? Who would you rather play everyday at AAA? Who needs the regular reps?

Lombardozzi has all three options remaining, as do Flaherty and Schoop. Plenty of flexibility there.

I agree there are some issues with Lombo's arm. The reason I like him in combination with Schoop is that Schoop can handle SS or 3B when the need arises, and Lombo's arm is only a minor issue at 2B. I'd rather have Flaherty for defense, but I like Lombo's approach at the plate much better, and I'm really impressed with his baserunning. I'd much rather use Lombo late in a game to pinch run, or hit in a situation where moving a runner up a base was an important consideration. Flaherty has more pop but he doesn't reliably get his bat on the ball. I just think the Schoop/Lombo combo gives us the best combination of skills as a tandem.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lombardozzi has all three options remaining, as do Flaherty and Schoop. Plenty of flexibility there.

I agree there are some issues with Lombo's arm. The reason I like him in combination with Schoop is that Schoop can handle SS or 3B when the need arises, and Lombo's arm is only a minor issue at 2B. I'd rather have Flaherty for defense, but I like Lombo's approach at the plate much better, and I'm really impressed with his baserunning. I'd much rather use Lombo late in a game to pinch run, or hit in a situation where moving a runner up a base was an important consideration. Flaherty has more pop but he doesn't reliably get his bat on the ball. I just think the Schoop/Lombo combo gives us the best combination of skills as a tandem.

They didn't burn one with Flaherty last season?

Lombo's arm issues are obviously more of a concern for me then you. The Holt play last night should have been routine. However, I agree that he provides an offensive dimension that the team lacks, a contact hitter with some speed. Flaherty is clearly the better fielder IMO. It's a hard call.

Lombo's arm issues are obviously more of a concern for me then you. The Holt play last night should have been routine. However, I agree that he provides an offensive dimension that the team lacks, a contact hitter with some speed. Flaherty is clearly the better fielder IMO. It's a hard call.

Can you describe the Holt play? I didn't see it.

If Hardy is willing to trade positions with Manny, sign him. Otherwise, an infield of Schoop 3B, Machado SS, and Flaherty/Lombo platoon 2B would be fine. Use the money that would be spent on JJ to help sign bigger fish like Davis and Manny. Can't keep 'em all. Middle infielders entering age 32 season are too big a risk for a team that needs every big signing to work out.

JJ would probably be at 2B if they move him off SS.

Did Lombardozzi injure his harm? He played 23 games in the OF and 41 games the season before. If he hasn't hurt his arm I think any claim that his arm isn't strong enough to play 2nd is reaching.

JJ would probably be at 2B if they move him off SS.

That would make no sense at all. Shortstops move to 3B as they age, not 2B, because they have to cover less ground that way and still take advantage of their great arm. At 2B you still have to cover a lot of ground, plus, you have to throw across the body, which is like teaching an old dog a new trick.

Did Lombardozzi injure his harm? He played 23 games in the OF and 41 games the season before. If he hasn't hurt his arm I think any claim that his arm isn't strong enough to play 2nd is reaching.

Well I suggest that you watch him make some plays and decide for yourself. He struggles making the turn on the DP and he looks awkward on what appear to be routine plays. He may have a sore arm. I don't know. Playing a position doesn't mean you have all of the requisite skills. Nate McClouth played a lot of left field for us last year but I don't think anyone here would argue he has a good arm.

Holt hit a fairly slow ground ball to second that required SL to charge it and make a quick throw to first. Holt beat out a mediocre throw.

Slade has this to say in his report on Lombardozzi

natural running speed is average but plays up on the basepaths due to aggressive and skilled baserunning. Steve has often been described as an excellent fundamental defender that is very "headsy" in the field and will make all the routine plays and throws expected of him at second and third.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/article/4553/player-profile-steve-lombardozzi---utl

I guess I tend to take Slades word over your casual observations. No disrespect intended.

I personally think Buck will keep Schoop up over Lombo and Flaherty - IF he thinks Schoop gives him the best chance to win games. I don't think Buck sees the O's as a good place for overly raw talent to mature.

All that said, Schoop is the best hitter of the three already - and will probably be the far better hitter. And he has looked promising at third base also.

I don't think Schoop is the odd man out if he keeps playing like he is... Why not keep him up and if he struggles for a month or two, then send him down and bring up whoever?

Slade has this to say in his report on Lombardozzi

http://www.orioleshangout.com/article/4553/player-profile-steve-lombardozzi---utl

I guess I tend to take Slades word over your casual observations. No disrespect intended.

Have you watched him play second base? If you have and like what you see that's all that matters. However, I would disagree. Just to clarify. I like Lombardozzi. He brings a dimension to the team that is lacking. He makes contact and runs well. In comparing him to Flaherty, I don't think he is as good defensively.

Have you watched him play second base? If you have and like what you see that's all that matters. However, I would disagree. Just to clarify. I like Lombardozzi. He brings a dimension to the team that is lacking. He makes contact and runs well. In comparing him to Flaherty, I don't think he is as good defensively.

We need a hybrid of Flaherty's defense and Lombardozzi's offense: Flambardozzi.

Archived