Schoop over Flaherty?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I personally think Buck will keep Schoop up over Lombo and Flaherty - IF he thinks Schoop gives him the best chance to win games. I don't think Buck sees the O's as a good place for overly raw talent to mature.

All that said, Schoop is the best hitter of the three already - and will probably be the far better hitter. And he has looked promising at third base also.

I don't think Schoop is the odd man out if he keeps playing like he is... Why not keep him up and if he struggles for a month or two, then send him down and bring up whoever?

Whoever is on third?

Have you watched him play second base? If you have and like what you see that's all that matters. However, I would disagree. Just to clarify. I like Lombardozzi. He brings a dimension to the team that is lacking. He makes contact and runs well. In comparing him to Flaherty, I don't think he is as good defensively.

Just for giggles I took at look at BB ref for Brock Holt. He's stolen 60 bases in the minors and appears to be a hustle player. Perhaps he got a good jump and beat it out. It was a slow roller. That said I will try to observe some of his plays at 2B.

Just for giggles I took at look at BB ref for Brock Holt. He's stolen 60 bases in the minors and appears to be a hustle player. Perhaps he got a good jump and beat it out. It was a slow roller. That said I will try to observe some of his plays at 2B.

I was going to mention that SL may have underestimated Holt's speed. Anyway watch and judge for yourself. We have a whole season to change our minds. :)

Holt hit a fairly slow ground ball to second that required SL to charge it and make a quick throw to first. Holt beat out a mediocre throw.

It wasn't his arm so much as the fact that he took a split-second too long making sure the ball was in his glove. He was strangely methodical about it all, considering how hard Holt was running down the line: caught the ball, then secured it with both hands, then reached in to grab and throw. I think if he had realized how quickly he had to get it over to first, he would have done it more in one continuous motion--if he can't, that's a problem! (The safe call was made upon video review.)

I honestly think you take Schoop over Flaherty now. Schoop's bat is coming around and Faherty seems to be returning to black hole status. Lombardozzi is the back up MI for all.
It only seems like that since he has been on the bench the last 3 G. Actually he is .286 .348 .381 .729 the past 7 G. We would have been delighted with those numbers especially the OBP, if Schoop were not on fire now. Something tells me Schoop is less likely to stay on fire, than Flash is to maintain the past 7 G numbers for the season.

Ypu don't seem to be that worried about it. I think it is a concern. If Hardy has to miss a few days I would prefer Flaherty at SS to the other options.

I don't worry about things I can't control. If Hardy gets hurt during a game, Schoop or Manny could finish the game at SS. If Hardy is going to be out for multiple games then you bring up Flaherty or someone else to play SS while he's gone.

I don't worry about things I can't control. If Hardy gets hurt during a game, Schoop or Manny could finish the game at SS. If Hardy is going to be out for multiple games then you bring up Flaherty or someone else to play SS while he's gone.

The problem with that is what happened last week. Hardy gets hurt but not badly and Buck decides to play a man down rather then put him on the DL. I wouldn't want to see Schoop at short for the better part of a week.

The problem with that is what happened last week. Hardy gets hurt but not badly and Buck decides to play a man down rather then put him on the DL. I wouldn't want to see Schoop at short for the better part of a week.

You are supposing that Buck would do the same thing without Flaherty on the roster and that is incorrect.

Archived