Schoop over Flaherty?

Bahama O's Fan

Only reason they would be needed is if JJ gets hurt. Neither of them could handle it for one night?
And like Hardy never gets hurt right? He was only out the past week with back issues and he has a chronically sore shoulder. In real baseball the SS position is very important and you need a solid guy out there.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did I say he never gets hurt?
Ypu don't seem to be that worried about it. I think it is a concern. If Hardy has to miss a few days I would prefer Flaherty at SS to the other options. Also it would be nice to have the option of resting Manny initially once and awhile when he returns, and Flaherty gives us a better option at 3B or 2B in that case.

I know its very premature and he could go 0-25, but I think we are seeing the beginning of a very

nice career for Jon Schoop.

The kid has very quick wrists and is super strong. He will struggle again and

have to adjust, but I believe this guy is going to be a real keeper.I like the way he plays defense too.

Of course he made 2 errors earlier last week, but I like his arm and he is quick on his feet. Unless he

goes into a total tailspin, I think the Orioles would be crazy to consider sending him down.

It seems to me he is learning and making the adjustments he needs to make at the ML level, so why would he need to go to Norfolk to do the same thing. Unless he goes in the tank the next two or three ,I agree there is no reason to send him down other than service time issues.

It seems to me he is learning and making the adjustments he needs to make at the ML level, so why would he need to go to Norfolk to do the same thing. Unless he goes in the tank the next two or three ,I agree there is no reason to send him down other than service time issues.

Duquette doesn't seem to be as worried about service time as some other GMs, so at this point I think the job is his once Manny comes back. He's had some ups and downs, but thats to be expected... he has a higher ceiling than anyone else we can play at 2B, so might as well just let him play. He's certainly earned it.

IMHO it's a bit of a weird discussion. Mintyfresh and Fellaherty are not the same guy at all. JS is a starter long-term, and I consider RF's ceiling to be super-utility. Also JS is earlier in his development - he needs to play every day whether it's here or AAA - I don't care about the service time question; that mattered in 2009 when we waited on Ma Tweeters because the team had no shot anyway; but now is the magical "window" and we have to be all-in.

The better discussion, in my mind, is RF vs. Lamborghini. Are they the same guy? Or can Lambo be an everyday 2B? If he SERIOUSLY can, then it's Minty to 3rd, Chad to SS, and trade JJH. If he can't, then depending on options-remaining-status we either send down or trade SL or RF... play Chad at 3rd and keep JJH.

IMHO it's a bit of a weird discussion. Mintyfresh and Fellaherty are not the same guy at all. JS is a starter long-term, and I consider RF's ceiling to be super-utility. Also JS is earlier in his development - he needs to play every day whether it's here or AAA - I don't care about the service time question; that mattered in 2009 when we waited on Ma Tweeters because the team had no shot anyway; but now is the magical "window" and we have to be all-in.

The better discussion, in my mind, is RF vs. Lamborghini. Are they the same guy? Or can Lambo be an everyday 2B? If he SERIOUSLY can, then it's Minty to 3rd, Chad to SS, and trade JJH. If he can't, then depending on options-remaining-status we either send down or trade SL or RF... play Chad at 3rd and keep JJH.

Wow ...what's hard in your post are all the nicknames your trying to use! Who is Minty fresh?

They aren't trading Hardy (JJH) you can bet your life on it. Buck has said they like Manny (Minty Fresh) at 3B. Lombardozzi has been in the bigs since age 22 and has 700 abs over the past two seasons. He despite the questions about his defense here has played 3B, 2B, SS, and OF. So he can certainly handle 2B to answer your question. His bat has played at the major league level to a 266 avg/.298 OBP. He doesn't have a ton of power and the guys in this thread want Flaherty's power potential despite his dismal average. Lombardozzi is also only 25 this season and has some room to improve the average. I think he could possibly end up being close to a .300 hitter with perhaps a 330-350 OBP. I'd imagine he can do the small ball things well (hitting behind the runners , bunting, etc etc). Based on the low overall OBP on this team I think he has value.

That said ..the decision when Manny returns is

Schoop to the minors (very likely because of the clock)

Flaherty hitting under .200 and has an option (very likely also)

Lombardozzi to the minors (not likely but also has an option)

Or they could trade one of Lombardozzi/Flaherty

"....................

If it's performance, how can it not be Flaherty to the minors? Also I wail say that there are two weeks or so until Manny will likely be ready. So Schoop will have to continue to hit. Either way he needs to play everyday.

If it's the clock it is almost certainly Schoop to the minors and Lombo to 2nd, Flaherty to Util.

The only thing is that we need to find out this year whether Flaherty can be a starter or if we need to keep JJ. To do that' date=' Ryan has to play, so I think they will keep him up.[/quote']

Maybe the way to get Flaherty's bat started is to send him to AAA. Its not like he has to be there all year.

The person being left out of this conversation, that may be sent down when Manny comes back is Lombardozzi. Don't get me wrong I like him. He's shown a decent bat from the left side and defensive versatility. However, I have concerns about his arm. It doesn't look particularly strong. He's had difficulty making the turn on double plays and has struggled.on several throws.

The only thing is that we need to find out this year whether Flaherty can be a starter or if we need to keep JJ. To do that' date=' Ryan has to play, so I think they will keep him up.[/quote']

If Hardy is willing to trade positions with Manny, sign him. Otherwise, an infield of Schoop 3B, Machado SS, and Flaherty/Lombo platoon 2B would be fine. Use the money that would be spent on JJ to help sign bigger fish like Davis and Manny. Can't keep 'em all. Middle infielders entering age 32 season are too big a risk for a team that needs every big signing to work out.

The person being left out of this conversation, that may be sent down when Manny comes back is Lombardozzi. Don't get me wrong I like him. He's shown a decent bat from the left side and defensive versatility. However, I have concerns about his arm. It doesn't look particularly strong. He's had difficulty making the turn on double plays and has struggled.on several throws.

Does he have options? Who would you rather have as your UTL: him or Flaherty? Do you platoon Flaherty and Schoop? Do you give Manny some extra days off to get back? Who would you rather play everyday at AAA? Who needs the regular reps?

Maybe the way to get Flaherty's bat started is to send him to AAA. Its not like he has to be there all year.
Just tell him it's June.

In July of 1985, the Dodgers were playing a nationally televised game. Pedro Guerrero had had a scorching June that year. When referring to another great game that Guerrero had just had against the Cubs on July 26th, Vin Scully stated that "Lasorda just told Pete (Pedro Guerrero) that it was June 56th."

Does he have options? Who would you rather have as your UTL: him or Flaherty? Do you platoon Flaherty and Schoop? Do you give Manny some extra days off to get back? Who would you rather play everyday at AAA? Who needs the regular reps?

I think I read that he does have options but I'm not completely sure. I like the idea of a second base platoon with Flaherty and Schoop. However, Flaherty would be my primary defensive replacement for shortstop. Manny's playing time would depend on how he feels and how he performs. They have handled his recovery extremely well, so I don't expect any set backs when he's ready. For me It's not about who needs to play in AAA, rather who can contribute here.

Archived