The "You Might Want To Check Out What This Pitcher Is Doing" Thread

Moshagge3

If it is an error in the first inning, then it is an error in the 7th inning of a perfect game. So glad Ortiz got that hit in the 9th. I wouldn't be opposed to changing the interpretation of the error rule and calling that an error in the future, but it has always been a hit in the past and it was a hit last night.

Harold and I agree with you.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I almost have to question how serious of a baseball fan you can be if you thought that play last night should have been ruled an error based on precedent.

While I think those types of plays should be ruled an error on principle, you are correct that it should be ruled a hit on precedent.

In general I think official scorers should be more open-minded in ruling errors on plays like that. There seems to be an inescapable philosophy of "the ball didn't touch a glove, so it's automatically a hit," which really isn't a correct interpretation of the rule, IMO. MLB might want to take a closer look at their official scoring philosophies. There's no reason that type of play shouldn't be called an error, but official scorers almost never judge it that way (unless there's a no-hitter involved, apparently).

• 3 weeks later...
I started watching this inning. Getting a kick out of the two woman behind home plate paying zero attention. Intense conversation .

Just tuned in too. Re the women behind home...never ceases to amaze me.

Seats most people will never have the opportunity to sit in in their lives at any game, much less a shot at history.

Just tuned in too. Re the women behind home...never ceases to amaze me.

Seats most people will never have the opportunity to sit in in their lives at any game, much less a shot at history.

I wonder if they pay any attention this inning.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived