Still think O's were wrong on Balfour?

LookitsPuck

1- He's a fan favorite.

2- Bell and the rapist have been released.

3- Lost season at this point.

4- Do they have anyone in the pen getting guys out?

Jake McGee has continued to be nearly unhittable. But, I'm sure they don't want him racking up saves, so he'll stay cheap in arbitration. The reliever formerly known as Leo Nunez (now Juan Oviedo) has been pretty good, has previous closing experience, and they shouldn't worry about him in arbitration.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jake McGee has continued to be nearly unhittable. But, I'm sure they don't want him racking up saves, so he'll stay cheap in arbitration. The reliever formerly known as Leo Nunez (now Juan Oviedo) has been pretty good, has previous closing experience, and they shouldn't worry about him in arbitration.

Yea, I was discounting McGee. Oviedo would work.

That's completely true. After he made a big stink about being completely healthy and not deserving the Orioles backing out of the deal, you better believe he is going to insist he's 100% until they drag him off the mound. And he's getting close to reaching that point.

On a sidenote, how about Maddon sticking with Balfour as the closer this long? That's far worse than Buck was with Johnson. And Maddon is a very highly respected manager as well.

He's only blown 2 saves in 11 opportunities, and only one of those resulted in a loss. He hasn't allowed a run in any of his 9 saves, and six of those were one-run saves. He's had a few really terrible outings this year but has allowed runs in only 6 of 24 appearances. So, though his ERA and BB rate are awful, he hasn't been bad all that often. He's had seven appearances where he didn't allow a baserunner. I'd say he's been significantly more effective than Hunter.

One of my fantasy teams is named Balfour's Doctor. No he is not on the team.

He is on my team along with Joe Nathan. Boy they have stunk recently. Although it is hard for Balfour to get saves when the Rays keep losing.

He's only blown 2 saves in 11 opportunities, and only one of those resulted in a loss. He hasn't allowed a run in any of his 9 saves, and six of those were one-run saves. He's had a few really terrible outings this year but has allowed runs in only 6 of 24 appearances. So, though his ERA and BB rate are awful, he hasn't been bad all that often. He's had seven appearances where he didn't allow a baserunner. I'd say he's been significantly more effective than Hunter.

Sounds an awful lot like Hunter actually.

I believe Tampa is one of the orgs that looks at Pitch F/X data to try and identify potential issues. I am not certain, but if that is correct than any quirky data stuff would have them examining him.

I am certain he has been physically compromised.

That makes some sense. He's been very lucky to avoid the BS with how poorly he's pitched overall.

Also, I believe BALs hangup was the second year, not year one. So...

I have heard several industry experts state that they thought Balfour was fine. Both for print and as a personal aside. I think I'm right on this one. And they are wrong.

Absolutely. The Baltimore panel of doctors stated that they felt Balfour would not be able to contribute the second year.

So what's the problem now then?

You think he's hurt.

That still in no way makes the O's "right."

So what's the problem now then?

You think he's hurt.

That still in no way makes the O's "right."

I absolutely disagree. I do think they were right. You wont convince me differently. No need to respond.

I absolutely disagree. I do think they were right. You wont convince me differently. No need to respond.

Oh, well I think the sky is green. You can't convince me. That's mature.

What were they supposedly right about?

Archived