MLB will suspend Machado for five games. Machado plans to appeal.

Greg

Of course it was, didn't you watch the interview, he sounded scripted, can't blame him for that.

The pitcher gets a slap on the wrist what a joke, baseball is Ok with pitchers ending careers with their behavior.

More to webbrick, just too lazy to scroll pages to find original post.

Acknowledging you did something wrong and apologizing for it has nothing to do with agreeing that your punishment is fair. The precedent has already been set that throwing a bat is a 4 game suspension.

The thing you should really be questioning is, if pitcher A gets suspended for throwing at a hitter why isn't that the same for pitcher B, C and D? The rules aren't clear, and they are not enforced the same.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
More to webbrick, just too lazy to scroll pages to find original post.

Acknowledging you did something wrong and apologizing for it has nothing to do with agreeing that your punishment is fair. The precedent has already been set that throwing a bat is a 4 game suspension.

The thing you should really be questioning is, if pitcher A gets suspended for throwing at a hitter why isn't that the same for pitcher B, C and D? The rules aren't clear, and they are not enforced the same.

Sorry but the precedent is not set at 4 games. In 1973 Bert Campaneris of the A's, playing in the ALCS, threw his bat over the head of Tigers pitcher Lerrin LaGrow, who had just hit him in the ankle with a pitch. He was suspended for the remainder of the series (which ran three more games). He was allowed to play in the WS. But in 1974 he began the season by sitting for another seven games. Total suspension was 10 games.

Sorry but the precedent is not set at 4 games. In 1973 Bert Campaneris of the A's, playing in the ALCS, threw his bat over the head of Tigers pitcher Lerrin LaGrow, who had just hit him in the ankle with a pitch. He was suspended for the remainder of the series (which ran three more games). He was allowed to play in the WS. But in 1974 he began the season by sitting for another seven games. Total suspension was 10 games.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2014/06/manny_machado_pulls_a_trot_nixon_throws_bat.html

In 2002 Red Sox outfielder (and original dirt dog) Trot Nixon was suspended for four games for throwing his bat in the direction of Devil Rays pitcher Ryan Rupe.

Of course it was, didn't you watch the interview, he sounded scripted, can't blame him for that.

The pitcher gets a slap on the wrist what a joke, baseball is Ok with pitchers ending careers with their behavior.

I thought the pitcher should have gotten 5 games and Manny should have gotten at least 10 games. 5 games is a joke. It is 3 percent of the season. Baseball suspensions seem to be the shortest in sports. When Chris Simon tried to stomp on someone with his skate he got 30 games. Dale Hunter got 15 for checking someone after the game ended. In baseball you don't get much. They only gave out drug suspensions after congress harrassing them.

As I said, the catcher changes his position based on the hitter, their back swing, and where they set up in the box. It's on the catcher to be far enough away not to get hit. Since it is them who is going to get hit. Doesn't matter if it's Manny or some guy playing in an over 40 league. The catcher has to decide how far he has to be back so he don't get hit/hurt.

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-pPNegSjvw?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-pPNegSjvw?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

This time I'm really done; good day...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2014/06/manny_machado_pulls_a_trot_nixon_throws_bat.html

In 2002 Red Sox outfielder (and original dirt dog) Trot Nixon was suspended for four games for throwing his bat in the direction of Devil Rays pitcher Ryan Rupe.

And Campaneris got 10 games so could say the precedent is 10. Each case is different. Per Eduardo Encina's article in the Sun yesterday:

"In determining the length of the suspension, MLB not only reviewed Sunday’s incident but also Machado’s actions in Friday’s game, when he confronted Oakland third baseman Josh Donaldson after what Machado perceived as a hard tag.

“It is what it is,” Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. “Nobody can judge intent. We all have some common sense, some more than others. We all know what was going on with Abad. How they chose to do it, they have precedent. That's why, when I talk about the five days, there really is no precedent. So you think it would be reduced, but maybe not. … I’m more concerned about my player and what’s going on with him than what the league tried to do with somebody else as they try to read people’s minds.”

There were no warnings issued at the time of Sunday’s incident, which likely played a role in Abad not receiving a suspension. Also, the location of Abad’s pitches wasn’t deemed as threatening as previous events that have led to suspensions."

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-06-10/sports/bal-orioles-third-baseman-manny-machado-to-receive-a-fivegame-suspension-20140610_1_manny-machado-four-game-suspension-center-fielder-adam-jones

And Campaneris got 10 games so could say the precedent is 10. Each case is different. Per Eduardo Encina's article in the Sun yesterday:

"In determining the length of the suspension, MLB not only reviewed Sunday?s incident but also Machado?s actions in Friday?s game, when he confronted Oakland third baseman Josh Donaldson after what Machado perceived as a hard tag.

?It is what it is,? Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. ?Nobody can judge intent. We all have some common sense, some more than others. We all know what was going on with Abad. How they chose to do it, they have precedent. That's why, when I talk about the five days, there really is no precedent. So you think it would be reduced, but maybe not. ? I?m more concerned about my player and what?s going on with him than what the league tried to do with somebody else as they try to read people?s minds.?

There were no warnings issued at the time of Sunday?s incident, which likely played a role in Abad not receiving a suspension. Also, the location of Abad?s pitches wasn?t deemed as threatening as previous events that have led to suspensions."

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-06-10/sports/bal-orioles-third-baseman-manny-machado-to-receive-a-fivegame-suspension-20140610_1_manny-machado-four-game-suspension-center-fielder-adam-jones

If you honestly think that what Manny and or Nixon did is remotely close to what Camaneris did we have nothing more to discuss. They are in the same ball park, but no where close to the same location. What Nixon did was similar to Manny, the punishment should be the same.

Just like I said below, so should the punishment for Abad. Other pitchers get suspending for purposely throwing at hitters. Exactly the same as what Abad did. Yet he only got fined. If pitcher A gets fined and suspended for throwing at a hitter, then every pitcher after him should get the same punishment. With it increasing with each offense.

Sorry but the precedent is not set at 4 games. In 1973, Bert Campaneris of the A's, playing in the A.L.C.S., threw his bat over the head of Tigers pitcher Lerrin LaGrow, who had just hit him in the ankle with a pitch. He was suspended for the remainder of the series (which ran three more games). He was allowed to play in the World Series. But in 1974, he began the season by sitting for another seven games. Total suspension was 10 games.

Ooo1972, and 1973.

o

FROM THE LOCKED THREAD:

I remember when this happened in 1988.

Pedro Guerrero was hit in the head with a slow curve ball by David Cone, and subsequently threw the bat at him on the mound (while Mets catcher Barry Lyons was trying to intervene.)

The Mets beat the Dodgers 11 times out of 12 that season.

In that year's L.C.S., the Dodgers beat the Mets, 4 games to 3.

Hit, Run, and Throw: Guerrero Throws Bat at Pitcher: Dodgers Lose, 5-2

(By Sam McManis)

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-05-...1_dodgers-lose

By the way, Pedro Guerrero got 4 games for that bat-throwing incident in 1988:

http://www.truebluela.com/2013/1/17/3841458/pedro-guerrero-1988-dodgers

By the way, Pedro Guerrero got 4 games for his bat-throwing incident in 1988:

http://www.truebluela.com/2013/1/17/3841458/pedro-guerrero-1988-dodgers

Do we know if those guys appealed? Or did they have that right back then. I'm also guessing they view the MM incidents on the whole and with the additional extenuating circumstances and wanted to send a strong message. I was thinking it was going to be 5 games (maybe longer) myself.

MASN Mid Atlantic Sports Report are trashing Manny. Not for his incidents, but for his offensive regression.

Which is why I think he's going to be sent down to the Minors to regroup. I agree with some of the other posters that Buck should have dropped him down earlier.

Archived