MLB will suspend Machado for five games. Machado plans to appeal.

Greg

Which is why I think he's going to be sent down to the Minors to regroup. I agree with some of the other posters that Buck should have dropped him down earlier.

We all tried to pretend that all would be good and well with him in time for opening day. We got a inferior version back, with some new wrinkles as well. He tried to rush himself back, and it has not worked well.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We all tried to pretend that all would be good and well with him in time for opening day. We got a inferior version back, with some new wrinkles as well. He tried to rush himself back, and it has not worked well.

He had no spring training. He wasn't able to work out normally all winter. You have to expect he wasn't going to start off like he did last season.

Which is why I think he's going to be sent down to the Minors to regroup. I agree with some of the other posters that Buck should have dropped him down earlier.

I'd like to see him get some time lower in the order and see if that helps at all. Little less focus.

It's what I suggested before he ever came back.

He had no spring training. He wasn't able to work out normally all winter. You have to expect he wasn't going to start off like he did last season.

Somewhat like what happened with RGIII only Manny wasn't pushing to come back earlier.

Somewhat like what happened with RGIII only Manny wasn't pushing to come back earlier.

It's not necessarily that he's not 100% healthy. He had to rehab his knee all winter. He wasn't able to concentrate on hitting and fielding. He didn't have 100 ab's in spring training to get his timing down. He had a few days in the minors to get his timing down and be ready to play. I think he's still trying to get his timing down.

I was just watching the Braves highlight and we saw the exact same thing that the A's were upset with on Manny hitting the catcher on the backswing. I know it is mostly unintentional and a lot of times but in that game the next hitter was hit by the pitch and caused some ejections. I know with Manny and Adam having long swings they can hit the catcher at times and hopefully other teams don't start to throw at them and then our pitchers have to protect them. It seems there has been more times the last few years with catchers getting hit then I remember in the past not sure if that is on the hitter or catcher staying to close.

I was just watching the Braves highlight and we saw the exact same thing that the A's were upset with on Manny hitting the catcher on the backswing. I know it is mostly unintentional and a lot of times but in that game the next hitter was hit by the pitch and caused some ejections. I know with Manny and Adam having long swings they can hit the catcher at times and hopefully other teams don't start to throw at them and then our pitchers have to protect them. It seems there has been more times the last few years with catchers getting hit then I remember in the past not sure if that is on the hitter or catcher staying to close.

So the A's catcher got hit with the backswing and then their pitcher threw at the next batter? Like what happened here? Time for MLB to take a look at Bob Melvin. If they're gonna suspend Manny, which I have gone on record as being in favor of, then they also need to now look at the A's, and they should start with the Manager.

Didn't the batter in that game foul a pitch off and THEN hit the catcher on the backswing?

That seems to be a significant difference.

Didn't the batter in that game foul a pitch off and THEN hit the catcher on the backswing?

That seems to be a significant difference.

Yes i am not saying Manny throwing the bat more that twice in the last week a player has hit i batter with a backswing and then either the hitter or the next guy up was thrown at because of it. The A's were mad about Manny hitting Norris and threw at him the same way the Braves were at the Rockies hitter and both times retaliated. It will be intersting to see if more catchers get hit on backswings will the other team start throwing at the hitters.

So the A's catcher got hit with the backswing and then their pitcher threw at the next batter? Like what happened here? Time for MLB to take a look at Bob Melvin. If they're gonna suspend Manny, which I have gone on record as being in favor of, then they also need to now look at the A's, and they should start with the Manager.

It was the Braves-Rockies. He was saying "like the A's were upset," but I understand how you could have read that as it being the A's again.

Gerald Laird for the Braves got hit with the backswing and had to leave the game, leading to a little beanball and a few ejections.

Hey so Manny made sure to check on Reyes (I believe) last night after accidentally stepping on his hand. I'm in the category that says Manny is a good kid who will take this to heart and learn something. He's going to have to continue to do these types of "good guy" things on the field for awhile in order to regain respect around baseball. Good start last night.

Yeah, that was pretty interesting. It actually looked like Manny was hurt as Reyes kinda slid into his shin. I actually didn't see him step on Reyes's hand but he did go over and out of his way to ask him if he was ok. Definitely seems like the kid has gotten the message and taken it to heart. Really good to see. Hopefully he will start hitting and they won't have to send him down. We need him.

Two nights ago, didn't Manny step out of the box and apologize or express concern to the catcher after he accidentally hit him on the backswing? Manny's undergo a serious national humbling and I think he's responding to it well, turning a bad situation into an opportunity to mature.

Two nights ago, didn't Manny step out of the box and apologize or express concern to the catcher after he accidentally hit him on the backswing? Manny's undergo a serious national humbling and I think he's responding to it well, turning a bad situation into an opportunity to mature.

Yes, to AJ Pierzynski (I think it was in the 1st game, not 100% sure though).

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck said the Os are hoping Machado suspension goes down to 2 games. Mentioned precedent.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">June 15, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived