Who is your MVO? (Update: Cruz wins MVO)

Moose Milligan

Who is the MVO?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the MVO?

Not only does Hardy stabilize the defense even with Davis at third, but his hitting with RISP I believe is the best on the team, even better than Jones or Pearce.

Hardy is 8th on the team in OPS with runners in scoring position, behind Machado, Jones, Wieters, Pearce, Davis and Flaherty. And he's above only David Lough in OPS in high leverage situations, essentially the whole team is better. Bizarrely, Davis is OPSing .921 in high-leverage situations. Hardy is at .624.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hardy is 8th on the team in OPS with runners in scoring position, behind Machado, Jones, Wieters, Pearce, Davis and Flaherty. And he's above only David Lough in OPS in high leverage situations, essentially the whole team is better. Bizarrely, Davis is OPSing .921 in high-leverage situations. Hardy is at .624.

I thought they said that Hardy was in the top five in the league in hitting with RISP. I don't think I imaged that as they (Thorne and Bordick) were questioning the wisdom of walking Davis to pitch to him. They said he has been the best at getting the key hit with RISP on the team...???

I thought they said that Hardy was in the top five in the league in hitting with RISP. I don't think I imaged that as they (Thorne and Bordick) were questioning the wisdom of walking Davis to pitch to him. They said he has been the best at getting the key hit with RISP on the team...???

He is hitting .351 with RISP, but with almost no extra base hits or walks, so his production in those situations is unremarkable. Commentators often still use batting average as a synonym for performance, despite the obvious flaws.

He is hitting .351 with RISP, but with almost no extra base hits or walks, so his production in those situations is unremarkable. Commentators often still use batting average as a synonym for performance, despite the obvious flaws.

Right, he has the best batting average on the team with RISP among qualified batters (Bud Norris and Wieters are higher) and the best overall BA on the team with RISP and 2 outs.

Doesn't a single become more important when runners are in scoring position? Not to say that JJ is our best guy with RISP, but OPS becomes less important in that situation.

Doesn't a single become more important when runners are in scoring position? Not to say that JJ is our best guy with RISP, but OPS becomes less important in that situation.

If you're down three runs in the 7th with a man on second I'd say slugging and on-base percentage are pretty darned important.

It sure was important last night as it ended up winning the game. It would also seem most important in a tight one run game which the O's have had a fair share of lately

1. Jones

Big gap

Jones is the man

Still more gap

2. Britton

3. Cruz

4. Joseph

5. Markakis

6. Pearce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pearce is 6th behind Markakis and Joseph? I like Nick as much as the next guy but come on. You realize that Pearce is 2nd to Jones on the team in WAR and leads Jones and everyone else in a number of offensive categories, right?

Maybe not. He leads in the more important metrics like wOBA .387 and wRC+ 148 while coming in a close 2nd to Cruz in ISO (.254 to .244) and leads in OBP and in SLG too.

But don't let that keep you from making an informed decision. Adam plays everyday so he should get it but Pearce has made a very big impact this season.

I had to go Pearce here. 2nd in WAR and CHOSE to come back to us. He could have easily been on his way to TOR. In terms of value, we have a budget, it's not Yankee sized.. we have gotten a lot of value out of him for next to nothing monetarily.

Archived