OK, so it looks like Detroit

vab

FAMOUS SPORTS UPSETS:

Clay defeats Liston, 1964.

Douglas Defeats Tyson, 1990.

The 1968 Jets beat the Colts in Super Bowl III, 16-7.

The 1980 U.S.A. hockey team defeats the U.S.S.R. in the medal round, 4-3.

North Carolina State beats the University of Houston, 1983 National Championship Game.

The 2014 Orioles somehow find a way to beat the Detroit Tigers, A.L.D.S. *

* Has not yet come to fruition. Oriole fans can only hope.

Do you really think that would be a major upset? I don't personally...the Orioles are good enough to win it all.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you really think that would be a major upset? I don't personally...the Orioles are good enough to win it all.

Please go back and read the two posts from the two people whom I was responding to.

Consider the source(s) of whom I was responding to, and reconsider the context of my post that you are quoting.

Verlander has rediscovered his stuff and V-Mart is the best hitter in the league (yes even better than Cabrera and Trout right now).

I'm starting to get nervous.

The one thing that keeps me going is that we've seen a pretty strong correlation in recent playoffs that outstanding bullpens thrive in the playoffs and weak bullpens get shredded through like tissue paper. With the Tigers' pen being one of the worst in the league, I'm hoping that disparity is large enough.

Still... Scherzer, Price, Verlander... *shudders*

Verlander? Really?
Verlander was bad last year but looked great in the last 2 starts of 2013 and then was terrific in his 3 starts in the playoffs. I'm worried he's found his groove.

Another terrific start for Verlander last night: 8.0 7 1 1 0 6 0 109

Those that scoff at him in the playoffs, be forewarned.

Another terrific start for Verlander last night: 8.0 7 1 1 0 6 0 109

Those that scoff at him in the playoffs, be forewarned.

Yeah and a weak bullpen becomes a non issue when you have starts like that. I fully expect their rotation to shut us out twice in a 5 game series

Yeah and a weak bullpen becomes a non issue when you have starts like that. I fully expect their rotation to shut us out twice in a 5 game series

First of all: I expect Verlander to be good in the playoffs. However, we are not the playing-out-the-string White Sox. We're the AL East Champion Orioles. We aren't intimidated by any opponent. We've beaten many of the league's aces this year, some more than once. And our pitchers aren't chopped liver, even if they don't have Verlander's pedigree. Bring 'em on and stop acting like they're some super team, when they're clearly not.

First of all: I expect Verlander to be good in the playoffs. However, we are not the playing-out-the-string White Sox. We're the AL East Champion Orioles. We aren't intimidated by any opponent. We've beaten many of the league's aces this year, some more than once. And our pitchers aren't chopped liver, even if they don't have Verlander's pedigree. Bring 'em on and stop acting like they're some super team, when they're clearly not.

Hear. Hear.

But there is also Sherzer and Price. I just hope we don't get swept and shut out a couple of times.

Hear. Hear.

But what have we done against the Tigers this year? Answer: not much. Factor in we have lost Manny's bat and defense as well as Davis...I am extremely worried. It will be really disappointing if we go through all this winning of the division only to get knocked out one and done.

But what have we done against the Tigers this year? Answer: not much. Factor in we have lost Manny's bat and defense as well as Davis...I am extremely worried. It will be really disappointing if we go through all this winning of the division only to get knocked out one and done.

It's a best of five.

Why are you so focused on what happened in a three game series? The Orioles laid a dud in Chicago but went on a .750 winning percentage for the next two weeks.

Archived