Do we trade a starter?

ChuckS

No, there's no indication that the O's will be using a 6-man rotation next year. The four starters listed were a projected postseason rotation.

Sure there is. Testimony from Buck himself: http://fansided.com/2014/06/03/baltimore-orioles-considering-six-man-rotation/

I hope you're not suggesting that the post-season rotation equates to the regular season in 2015. I'm not sure why you're mentioning that. Maybe I'm missing something.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sure there is. Testimony from Buck himself: http://fansided.com/2014/06/03/baltimore-orioles-considering-six-man-rotation/

I hope you're not suggesting that the post-season rotation equates to the regular season in 2015. I'm not sure why you're mentioning that. Maybe I'm missing something.

There is no indication that Buck would ever use a six man rotation.

Check out the date of the article -- 20 weeks ago. The opening paragraph about Johan Santana should be a tipoff that it has nothing to do with the upcoming 2015 season.

Someone posted a potential postseason rotation, and you asked why there were only four starters. It's because only four starters are needed in the postseason.

Check out the date of the article -- 20 weeks ago. The opening paragraph about Johan Santana should be a tipoff that it has nothing to do with the upcoming 2015 season.

Someone posted a potential postseason rotation, and you asked why there were only four starters. It's because only four starters are needed in the postseason.

The thread title is "Do we trade a starter?". And that person was answering my post.

What am I missing then? Is this and every other publication on this topic simply made up? Did Buck not say those words? I don't understand.

Buck toyed with the idea, he made the mistake of thinking out loud. He said, he gave it lots of thought and regretted bringing it up.

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/blog/orioles-talk/showalter-wants-deep-six-six-man-rotation

To me a trade of Gonzalez is probable and most likely predicated on a few factors including:

Health of the other pitchers

Off season progress of potential prospect replacements

Ability to sign a sixth starter stop gap in free agency

I think Gonzalez gets moved, the organization already tried to move him a few times in the past year. I think Buck really likes Norris, as evidenced by his usage of him in the post season, and there is no chance in hell he gets traded.

I still think Gonzalez for Andrew Lambo is something that has a chance of happening. The two teams have made some trades recently and the trade fills needs for both teams (provided Cruz is not retained).

Gausman going to the bullpen is ludicrous. He will almost certainly be our best starter as soon as next season (possibly not until the following year).

Trading a starter is wise, IMO. I know that starters get injured and we have a plethora, so we shouldn't give up on one. But, I agree that we have enough minor league depth that if someone were to be injured, we wouldn't be in quite as horrendous a position as many other teams. I think Chen is the best candidate (value is highest) followed by Norris. I would like to keep Gonzo, Gausman (Obvi), and Tillman. Ubaldo has next to no trade value, so trying to move him would be stupid. We need to just plug him into the rotation and hope that everything works out from there. I don't think people should forget about Brad Brach as a possible starter if someone goes down. He's got starter stuff.

Please please please bring back Andrew Miller though. Pay the man. He's worth it and proved it in the postseason when he was one of the only relievers we had who could pitch under pressure.

What am I missing then? Is this and every other publication on this topic simply made up? Did Buck not say those words? I don't understand.

He was talking about September alone. I do not think that you understand that despite what everyone has shown you. Buck is not going to innovate starting pitching over a season. Other than mix and match when appropriate.

If we keep all the starters we have now for 2015, the depth chart could look something like this:

1-2. Tillman

1-2. Gausman

3-5. Chen

3-5. Norris

3-5. Gonzalez

6. Jimenez

7. McFarland

Bundy could earn his way into the rotation by late July, if not sooner. Obviously, his lack of innings over the last two years will have some bearing on where he pitches and how much. And certainly, it's too early to count on him. Nevertheless, he is a huge talent on the horizon.

Given our depth at starting pitching and our lack of outfield prospects who project to be better than average (unless I've missed someone), I would be fine with trading any of our starters not named Gausman or Bundy for a young, controllable outfielder who can be expected to do the job better than our current corner OF options: Markakis, De Aza, Pearce, Lough, Alvarez, Berry. (Not including Young or Cruz because we have no option for either of them).

Maybe there is no such deal out there to be made, I don't know.

Your thoughts?

I still think Gonzalez for Andrew Lambo is something that has a chance of happening. The two teams have made some trades recently and the trade fills needs for both teams (provided Cruz is not retained).

I agree that Gonzo looks to be the odd man out if there is a trade, but what on God's Green Earth makes you think we'd deal him for Andrew Lambo? He's basically a RF version of Ryan Flaherty.

I am worried about trading a starter and having someone get injured and having to endure McFarland every fifth day and what if Jiminez seems just as lost as last year. Unless we can get a ML almost ready starter back in the deal with some options. Do any of our SP have options? I say keep six and let one go down to AAA.

Archived