Teams must set their 40 Man rosters by tonight

weams

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geoff Arnold

FREDERICK, MD-On late Thursday afternoon, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contracts of former Keys pitchers Tyler Wilson and Mike Wright. By being placed on the Orioles 40-man roster, both players are protected from the Rule 5 Draft.

A member of the Keys pitching staff in 2012 and 2013, Wilson, 25, joins the Orioles 40-man roster after being named the organization’s Jim Palmer Minor League Pitcher of the Year. Between Double-A Bowie and Triple-A Norfolk he went 14-8 with a 3.67 ERA over 166.2 innings pitched. He paced all Orioles farmhands in wins (14), strikeouts (157), and finished seventh in ERA (3.67). Originally selected by Baltimore in the 10th round of the 2011 draft out of the University of Virginia, Wilson went 8-8 with a 4.21 ERA over 214 innings with Frederick.

Wright, 24, spent all of 2014 with Triple-A Norfolk, where he went 5-11 with a 4.61 ERA over 26 starts. Dominant down the stretch, the Palmetto State native allowed just one run over his final 29.2 innings (0.30). That included a near-no hitter in his penultimate start of the season. Facing the Durham Bulls on August 21, Wright lost the bid with two outs in the ninth inning after a two-strike double by Mikie Mahtook. In his lone season with the Keys in 2012, Wright went 5-2 with a 2.91 ERA over eight starts. He was recently ranked by Baseball America as the No. 8 prospect in the Orioles system entering 2015. The right-hander was drafted by the Orioles in the third round of the 2011 draft out of East Carolina University.

On Tuesday, former Keys pitcher Oliver Drake was signed to a major league contract, after posting a 3.08 ERA to go along with 31 saves at Bowie. The Orioles currently have 37 players on their 40-man roster. Of that contingent, 16 have either played or rehabbed in Frederick.

If I'm Houston I'd take him. Throw him in the pen and worse case scenario he bombs and you send him back.

Does Houston have room on the 40-man? They are so loaded, they are projected to lose 1-2 players I heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't have the 40 man roster spot to take a rule five guy. They had to make two two for one deals already.

What about Detroit taking Hobgood? A corpse would be better than almost every guy in their bullpen outside of Soria and Alburquerque. And yes, I consider any given corpse to be a more effective reliever than Joe Nathan right now.

What about Detroit taking Hobgood? A corpse would be better than almost every guy in their bullpen outside of Soria and Alburquerque. And yes, I consider any given corpse to be a more effective reliever than Joe Nathan right now.

I think they should take Matt if they feel they can use him.

Archived