Anyone getting tired of the "do-nothing" approach???

PA724_Oriole

I agreed with you right up until the Cubs example. When the Os win more games in the AL East for the last three years, it's smoke and mirrors. But the Cubs, who have won nothing ,are now "competitive enough for a long time" that they can go after a Lester. I think the Lester contract will be the shining mistake of their "rebuild" and will set them back quite a ways. Because it is Lester and his big money deal and then the ex Orioles Arrieta, Hammel, Wada who make up most of their "competitive" rotation. I remain skeptical. Lester was terrible as recently as 2012 and Arrieta, Hammel, Wada are nowhere near as "loaded" a team as one might hope.

I'm not saying the Cubs ARE competitive enough. But that THEY think that they have enough high upside pieces under team control that they can sink a lot of their payroll into a few starters, and still be okay, because they are going to be paying nothing for a lot of production in the future. Basically, Theo believes the rebuilding job is over, despite the lack of on-field success. Dan doesn't think the rebuild is over, despite the on field success.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not saying the Cubs ARE competitive enough. But that THEY think that they have enough high upside pieces under team control that they can sink a lot of their payroll into a few starters' date=' and still be okay, because they are going to be paying nothing for a lot of production in the future. Basically, Theo believes the rebuilding job is over, despite the lack of on-field success. Dan doesn't think the rebuild is over, despite the on field success.[/quote']

I much prefer Dan's assessment and method. Theo likes the bright lights and shiny toys a little too much, always has, imho.

Lost best power hitter and middle of the order threat. Check.

Lost leadoff hitter and solid every-day right fielder with Gold Glove. Check.

Lost best reliever. Check.

Obtained: Nothing.

:angryfire:

That rule 5 player is gonna replace Miller this year. You just watch.

I prefer the results that Dan has gotten so far. The "just do something" approach backfires more often than not.

A few years ago Andy MacPhail noted at the end of a slow winter's meeting day, "We had the chance to do something stupid today, but chose no to do so." Winning the Winter meetings is fun and all, but I'd rather be winning April-Oct.

I understand the "trust in Dan" approach to a degree and I think he is a good GM, however the success of the last few years is largely predicated on the rebuild undertaken by Andy Macphail. After this coming season 2/5 of the rotation will be free agents along with Davis and Weiters. I'm concerned that this approach will unravel at that point. Time will tell.

I prefer the results that Dan has gotten so far. The "just do something" approach backfires more often than not.

A few years ago Andy MacPhail noted at the end of a slow winter's meeting day, "We had the chance to do something stupid today, but chose no to do so." Winning the Winter meetings is fun and all, but I'd rather be winning April-Oct.

Sadly good ol' Andy never won 70 games in any year he ran the Orioles. Nice catchy phrase though. Sounds thoughtful and intelligent.

That being said, I also prefer the results Dan has gotten so far. By a wide margin.

The do something approach doesn't work in today's baseball with the free agent rules and lack of steroids, basically any big name free agent will be overpriced and not worth the money. Sign 5 AAAA players and take our chances. Continue to build the minor leagues and pay good money for players that actually have some upside when they come on the market. Looking at the free agent market, who fits that category?

Archived