Anyone getting tired of the "do-nothing" approach???

PA724_Oriole

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fans of other teams get signs that ownership and the front office actually care about winning.

[Posts containing slanderous or otherwise disrespectful messages will be removed.]

Fans of the Jays get signs that ownership and the front office actually care about winning.

Fans of the Orioles get to go to home playoff games.

Markakis made $15M last season, Cruz $8M, and Miller a prorated portion of $1.9M. Let's call that 700k, it's less than that. So that's $23.7M. But let's round that up to $24. We paid Markakis $2M to not exercise his option. Hardy's number increased by 4.5. Webb gets $1M bump. O'Day, $1.05. Chen 678k. Jimenez $1M. That's over $10M on just the contractual guys. Now let's talk arb guys. Tillman and Gonzalez will be about a $5M increase. We have, what, 8 other arb guys including Norris, Wieters, and Davis. But I think you see the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Addition by subtraction while rounding down to the nearest tenth.

An average front office would see how close we are and would do a little more than usual to ensure that we have the best team possible. Instead, we're getting brainwashed into thinking Dariel Alvarez is going to be an upgrade over Cruz.

The Thunder in the NBA are a perfect parallel to us right now. They have an extremely good core in Durant and Westbrook, and ownership has ridden them to 60 win seasons and a Finals appearance. However, their owners are insanely cheap and have done nothing to support them in terms of trades or free agent signings. The team have turned ridiculous profits, yet they pocket it and refuse to even go near the luxury tax threshold and trade away good players (Harden) simply because they don't want to pay him. In 2 and 3 years, respectively, Durant and Westbrook are free agents and will probably leave because of this.

It's a good team who has some success, but could've achieved so much more if they had the backing of their superiors....just like us.

NBA has a salary cap. Not a good analogy. Try a baseball one.

If Cruz and Markakis had both been signed, Davis would have been traded or DFA'd. Miller was never a consideration. I suspect that the Orioles final payroll will be five to seven percent over last year's. Certainly not 15 or 20 million higher. That was never something to set your sights on.

See this doesn't fly with me. Orioles offered all 11 players arbitration knowing how much they would all cost. Then Nick and Cruz signed after that. Orioles said they were cool with 3 years both players so thats about 23m a year. Where is that 23m going?

Spending money for the sake of it is such a stupid idea, for two reasons: 1) resources lost (obviously) 2) people playing because of their contracts and not their performance. It's amazing to me how this keeps getting lost on people. It's not "being cheap is good." It's about watching guys like Kevin Gregg, Garrett Atkins, etc. ad infinitum play too much games because we put a lot of money on them... and they are marginal guys who are disapppointing. And how guys like Markakis, Cruz, have some nice attributes and you start thinking about their situation and likely production in 2 or 3 years... and you actually realize how ugly it could be if you're locked into playing a guy who is now 0.5 WAR and is being paid $15 million. How they could be that marginal, disappointing guy. Potentially blocking a good player out of obligation to his status as an older, overpaid veteran.

I'm more OK with spending money in arbitration; by definition the guys are younger and there's always the option to non-tender them. So if that's where the money is going I'm fine with it.

Has nothing to do with salary caps and everything to do with owners who don't care. It's a perfectly good comaprison, but it doesn't say "omg orioles are amazing playing AAAA players is so smart I'd rather have a league minimum salary player than an all star", so you'll find something wrong with it.
No it's just wrong that's all - has nothing to do with amazing players. Has to do with a capped ecosystem. It changes the math. But you must not care about that. Ok I'll crawl back to my cave and let you rant away.

See this doesn't fly with me. Orioles offered all 11 players arbitration knowing how much they would all cost. Then Nick and Cruz signed after that. Orioles said they were cool with 3 years both players so thats about 23m a year. Where is that 23m going?

Check the time line again. Cruz had already been announced, if not signed and the Orioles had dropped out of the Nick negotiations. We just did not know that. It was between San Fran and Atlanta.

They made it with Nate McLouth.

Heck this year they won 96 games with Caleb Joseph.

Let that sink in a minute.

A guy that spent four seasons in AA started 77 games for the O's.

Was that by design? Or necessity? Would you do it again?

Archived