Anyone getting tired of the "do-nothing" approach???

PA724_Oriole

Paying DD to stay? Angelos' trust fund? Despite what many say on here, our payroll could be significantly higher. Baltimore has one of the best fan bases in sports. The reSale value of Ravens tickets is all you need to see that. It might be nice to see some $ go to international talent IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am starting to think the money was never there to begin with. Meaning just because they don't spend $20-$40 million on payroll for 2-3 of those players, does not mean if not signing any, they use it on other free agents. I doubted this initially and figured the money was there for one or two big signings.

Now however, I am thinking the Orioles never planned on spending the money from the start unless one of those 3 were going to take way undervalued deal. Instead, now they are trying to find undervalued players who may end up like Young/McClouth/Cruz (dumpster diving). The problem is, this does not seem like an off season where you lay in the brush, and find Nelson Cruz for $8 Million in Feb. None of the players I see tossed about seem like good salary values, or upgrades over the people they let walk.

Worst part is, likely somewhere in Orioles budgeting, they figure money saved is going into the Hardy deal since his salary doubled.

Don't forget to account for the large number of arbitration raises the Orioles will be handing out this offseason. It's not as though our payroll will be going down. No, it will be going up even if we don't make any large free agent additions.

I am starting to think the money was never there to begin with. Meaning just because they don't spend $20-$40 million on payroll for 2-3 of those players, does not mean if not mean when none of them sign, they use it on other free agents. I will be honest, after the big season, doubted this initially and figured the money was there for one or two big signings of our own players or free agents.

Now however, I am thinking the Orioles never planned on spending the money from the start unless one of those 3 were going to take way undervalued deal. Instead, now they are trying to find undervalued players who may end up like Young/McClouth/Cruz (dumpster diving). The problem is, this does not seem like an off season where you lay in the brush, and find Nelson Cruz for $8 Million in Feb. None of the players I see tossed about seem like good salary values, or upgrades over the people they let walk. We can resign Delmon Young...but now he is not such a value. Trade for a salary dump in Marlon Byrd..not really an upgrade of value over Markakis.

Worst part is, likely somewhere in Orioles budgeting, they figure money saved is going into the Hardy deal since his salary doubled.

If Cruz and Markakis had both been signed, Davis would have been traded or DFA'd. Miller was never a consideration. I suspect that the Orioles final payroll will be five to seven percent over last year's. Certainly not 15 or 20 million higher. That was never something to set your sights on.

And other than Jones and Hardy, no real big dollar commitments past 2015. The guys getting the big arbitration raise this year, will most likely be gone next year. So that reasoning doesn't fly imo.

That's not entirely true. Davis, De Aza and Wieters will hardly be getting big raises this year

(current salaries courtesy of Cot's Baseball contracts)

(projected salaries courtesy of MLBTradeRumors)

Alejandro De Aza, OF (5.139): $4.25MM --> $5.9MM projected salary

Matt Wieters, C (5.129): $7.7MM --> $7.9MM

Steve Pearce, 1B/OF (5.116): $850K --> $2.2MM

Bud Norris, SP (5.068): $5.3MM --> $8.7MM

Tommy Hunter, RP (5.066): $3MM --> $4.4MM

Chris Davis, 1B (5.061): $10.35MM --> $11.8MM

Brian Matusz, RP (4.156): $2.4MM --> $2.7MM

Chris Tillman, SP (3.113): $546K --> $5.4MM

Miguel Gonzalez, SP (3.107): $529K --> $3.7MM

Ryan Flaherty, IF (3.000): $521.5K --> $1MM

Zach Britton, RP (2.158): $521.5K --> $3.2MM

So here's the math:

1st year arbitration eligible players are projected to earn 11.182MM in raises this year, whereas 2nd and 3rd year arbitration eligible players are projected to earn 9.75MM in raises.

Granted, that's a lot of salary we're likely to shed in 2015, but Tillman, Gonzo, Britton, et al are going to continue to get raises in arbitration in 2016 and 2017.

Markakis made $15M last season, Cruz $8M, and Miller a prorated portion of $1.9M. Let's call that 700k, it's less than that. So that's $23.7M. But let's round that up to $24. We paid Markakis $2M to not exercise his option. Hardy's number increased by 4.5. Webb gets $1M bump. O'Day, $1.05. Chen 678k. Jimenez $1M. That's over $10M on just the contractual guys. Now let's talk arb guys. Tillman and Gonzalez will be about a $5M increase. We have, what, 8 other arb guys including Norris, Wieters, and Davis. But I think you see the point.

I am starting to think the money was never there to begin with. Meaning just because they don't spend $20-$40 million on payroll for 2-3 of those players, does not mean if not mean when none of them sign, they use it on other free agents. I will be honest, after the big season, doubted this initially and figured the money was there for one or two big signings of our own players or free agents.

Now however, I am thinking the Orioles never planned on spending the money from the start unless one of those 3 were going to take way undervalued deal. Instead, now they are trying to find undervalued players who may end up like Young/McClouth/Cruz (dumpster diving). The problem is, this does not seem like an off season where you lay in the brush, and find Nelson Cruz for $8 Million in Feb. None of the players I see tossed about seem like good salary values, or upgrades over the people they let walk. We can resign Delmon Young...but now he is not such a value. Trade for a salary dump in Marlon Byrd..not really an upgrade of value over Markakis.

Last year Byrd had 25 hr, 71 runs and 85 RBI. I'll take that this year in right field wouldn't you.

O's are at about 110m with all the arbitration cases and 0-3 player add to the signed players.

Aoki at 2/14 with 2 m deferred. That is 6m in 2015.

Young for 3m plus and option year.

Breslow for 2/6. 3M in 2015

Hundley for 3m.

That is 15m

minus Matusz 2.7

That is 12.3m

Total 122.3m

Just guessing.

O's are at about 110m with all the arbitration cases and 0-3 player add to the signed players.

Aoki at 2/14 with 2 m deferred. That is 6m in 2015.

Young for 3m plus and option year.

Breslow for 2/6. 3M in 2015

Hundley for 3m.

That is 15m

minus Matusz 2.7

That is 12.3m

Total 122.3m

Just guessing.

No Morse?

Archived