Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

ESPN has never had issue with posting snippets from insider pieces, as long as you don't post articles wholesale and provide a link to the work. But whatever, boss.

This is newsworthy only because I think most people, myself included, assumed this issue was dead in the water, at least for this year, because of a couple reports about Beeston staying on another year at least.

Olney saying "In spite of that declarative statement, however, this situation has legs" and stating that MLB is pushing for a deal suggests otherwise.

I don't think it's a dead issue. This situation isn't unique to baseball. I can see some heat being placed on Angelos if he decides to be 'the scrooge'.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The real question is not whether Dan will improve the team, as mentioned he has to keep the team competitive to be thought about for the job next year. The real question is whether Angelos is going to let Dan make meaningful changes knowing he wants to go to a competitor.

If for example Dan goes to Angelos and says I think I have a good deal on the table for Justin Upton but he is going to be gone after next year, I don't think Angelos is going to let that happen. And in some ways I wouldn't blame him.

The best thing that can happen right now is for the Orioles to work out compensation, trade Duquette and get a new GM in place as fast as possible. Extra kudos if they do it right and go get Kim Ng for the spot.

:agree:

Idk why this is still a topic. A couple.days ago DD said in a interview during IT or Hot Stove that he sees his contracts through and he is currently trying to improve the orioles and thats what he wanted.

Os fans need to stop being paranoid over this and.being gullible to the media trying to turn nothing into stories.

The real question is not whether Dan will improve the team, as mentioned he has to keep the team competitive to be thought about for the job next year. The real question is whether Angelos is going to let Dan make meaningful changes knowing he wants to go to a competitor.

If for example Dan goes to Angelos and says I think I have a good deal on the table for Justin Upton but he is going to be gone after next year, I don't think Angelos is going to let that happen. And in some ways I wouldn't blame him.

The best thing that can happen right now is for the Orioles to work out compensation, trade Duquette and get a new GM in place as fast as possible. Extra kudos if they do it right and go get Kim Ng for the spot.

Im.Not buying the first paragraph.

WIth everything DD has donein the post ten years. The Os can win only thirty games next seaaon and DD well still be a top candidate for anyone looking to improve the FO.

This could explain the winter meetings and lack of participation. Also why would you build a contending team to compete with . If this is true it's how it is today no respect. Very sad. Lets get it done with.

This is all hogwash. DD's MO for the last three years explains the WM. So many posters are throwing DD and his professionalism under the bus in both of these threads. It is ridiculous.

Olney only writes about 2 paragraphs on this. Here's the meatiest part:

"this situation has legs. There are folks in Major League Baseball who want the Orioles to allow Duquette to go to the Blue Jays, given his past work in Canada as the general manager of the Montreal Expos."

Olney then goes on to say that Angelos is a tough negotiator and will demand high compensation and if Toronto is willing to meet the price, DD could go.

To me, there's nothing new here. "Folks in Major League Baseball" could not be more vague. Does Olney mean 'Folks in Toronto'? Does he mean Selig?

Either way, I don't see DD being allowed to leave by Angelos, no matter what Toronto offers. I know that kind of illogical or foolish, but that's what I think.

Idk why this is still a topic. A couple.days ago DD said in a interview during IT or Hot Stove that he sees his contracts throughand he is currently trying to improve the orioles and thats what he wanted.

Os fans need to stop being paranoid over this and.being gullible to the media trying to turn nothing into stories.

Yes he said that and it's true unless, of course, his boss decides to let him out of his contract.

"this situation has legs. There are folks in Major League Baseball who want the Orioles to allow Duquette to go to the Blue Jays, given his past work in Canada as the general manager of the Montreal Expos."

Olney then goes on to say that Angelos is a tough negotiator and will demand high compensation and if Toronto is willing to meet the price, DD could go.

To me, there's nothing new here. "Folks in Major League Baseball" could not be more vague. Does Olney mean 'Folks in Toronto'? Does he mean Selig?

Either way, I don't see DD being allowed to leave by Angelos, no matter what Toronto offers. I know that kind of illogical or foolish, but that's what I think.

"Folks in baseball do not like Selig and want him to go immediately". Does that make it happen?

I hate that this is back. I really do.

What is troubling to me is the wording of tweets and headlines, apparently:

"Dan wants to leave, but..." Rosenthal tweet, among many others.

"MLB pushing for Os to let Dan go..." from this article.

Maybe I have a strong desire not to see Dan leave, which makes me anxious, admittedly. But the reporting makes it sound as if it would all be a done deal and he'd be gone in a blink, which (from my uninformed commode) doesn't sound accurate.

Dan would like the best for himself. Fact.

Deal is done but Dan is trapped. Not a fact.

The latter is the narrative being fed to us and it seems like lots of guys are peeing in our pool.

While Peter may not want to let him go, a disgruntled employee is an unproductive and often cancerous employee.

In the end, if he really wants to go all that can be done is either promote him to that level or let him go for compensation.

Bingo - promote him. It makes sense given the job he's done. We need to provide him with a chance to have more say in the business if he wants that. He ran his own company, etc., and seems to have a good executive mindset. Promote him, have him hire a young GM to groom into our next mastermind... And give him equity in the Orioles. And as I suggested before, turn the Warehouse into his apartment, complete with waterfall.

In all seriousness, Dan is not irreplaceable... but he's as close as it gets for an organization like ours.

Thanks for posting the summary. I agree with your conclusion.

Bingo - promote him. It makes sense given the job he's done. We need to provide him with a chance to have more say in the business if he wants that. He ran his own company, etc., and seems to have a good executive mindset. Promote him, have him hire a young GM to groom into our next mastermind... And give him equity in the Orioles. And as I suggested before, turn the Warehouse into his apartment, complete with waterfall.

In all seriousness, Dan is not irreplaceable... but he's as close as it gets for an organization like ours.

I like Duke but I'm not giving him a stake in the company after 3 good years just to keep him from going to Toronto.

Archived