Report: Phillies offered Howard, Byrd to Orioles

isestrex

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Royals?src=hash">#Royals</a> paid Morales, Rios combined $28M. Probably could have had Howard, Byrd for about half that, with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Phillies?src=hash">#Phillies</a> paying most of $68M left.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">December 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thoughts? Would you take both players if they eat a lot of the money.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Royals?src=hash">#Royals</a> paid Morales, Rios combined $28M. Probably could have had Howard, Byrd for about half that, with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Phillies?src=hash">#Phillies</a> paying most of $68M left.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

THe Royals made two questionable signings...but avoided making a questionable trade? :confused:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Royals?src=hash">#Royals</a> paid Morales, Rios combined $28M. Probably could have had Howard, Byrd for about half that, with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Phillies?src=hash">#Phillies</a> paying most of $68M left.</p>? Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

Depends on valuation. What would the Phillies want to eat that much money?

This is nonsense. No way at all the Phillies are going to eat 54MM of 68MM owed to those two. If they did, they would want the best 2 prospects in the KC org.

This is nonsense. No way at all the Phillies are going to eat 54MM of 68MM owed to those two. If they did, they would want the best 2 prospects in the KC org.

But those two have almost no value. Howard is already a replacement-level player in his decline years, Byrd has a tiny bit of value but is almost 40 and is making a good chunk of cash. If they want to unload those two they need to pay almost their whole salaries and expect almost nothing back. If not you walk away.

But those two have almost no value. Howard is already a replacement-level player in his decline years, Byrd has a tiny bit of value but is almost 40 and is making a good chunk of cash. If they want to unload those two they need to pay almost their whole salaries and expect almost nothing back. If not you walk away.

:agree: In Howard's case, especially, I have felt for some time now that he is pretty much locked in to being a Phillie. No team is likely to trade for him unless PHI eats nearly his entire salary, even for a player of little value. Since PHI is highly unlikely to agree to that, it looks like he is staying put to me.

Because the Phillies don't need to eat the money. Dumping a little bit of payroll does nothing for them.

So? I understand Ruben isn't the smartest person in the world. But I don't think he really believes that because he got hoodwinked, that means another team must give up its 2 best prospects. The trades they have done this winter have been "realistic."

So? I understand Ruben isn't the smartest person in the world. But I don't think he really believes that because he got hoodwinked' date=' that means another team must give up its 2 best prospects. The trades they have done this winter have been "realistic."[/quote']

Ordinarily dumping salary is enough reason for a rebuilding team to drop bad contracts. The Phillies don't care about the money (at least it doesn't look that way) so you will have to give up more in prospects. The Phillies have also shown to be very conscious of fan reaction. Put those two together and you get unrealistic expectations.

Ordinarily dumping salary is enough reason for a rebuilding team to drop bad contracts. The Phillies don't care about the money (at least it doesn't look that way) so you will have to give up more in prospects. The Phillies have also shown to be very conscious of fan reaction. Put those two together and you get unrealistic expectations.

If Ruben has gone crazy, I don't think it's the fans. From what I have seen, they would take a bag of balls to get rid of Howard, even with Philly eating most of the money. He's not well liked in Philly.

And I get that Ruben is coming to the table saying we don't have to eat money. But I think he also knows that he has a guy who he is probably paying 55m more than he should. I'd hope he doesn't actually think because he is willing to burn the money, another team must give up value to stop that burning.

Archived