Report: Phillies offered Howard, Byrd to Orioles

isestrex

I'm in the minority here but I would take on Howard for three years and $30 mil (Phils eat the other $30 mil) IF he could pass a physical. I like his 23 HRs and 95 RBI and feel he would, if healthy, put up better numbers at Camden Yards. Just my two cents:cool:

Howard had a .690 OPS. He's a -15 fielder. He's 35 years old. He's been worth minus-one wins over the last three years combined. Why would anyone want to pay him for the equivalent of plus-five wins? Even if his numbers were superficially better at OPACY it wouldn't make him any more valuable.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Howard had a .690 OPS. He's a -15 fielder. He's 35 years old. He's been worth minus-one wins over the last three years combined. Why would anyone want to pay him for the equivalent of plus-five wins? Even if his numbers were superficially better at OPACY it wouldn't make him any more valuable.

:agree: 100%.

Besides, Davis just got cleared to use adderall in 2015... Which probably killed any thoughts on this deal for everyone!

Some random thoughts and this will do it for me on the subject:

-- Don't feel we can count on Davis having a big year off of what we saw last season. Too many are now hanging their hats on him; I wouldn't.

-- Howard's 190 ks concern me and yes he hits in a nice park but at 34 is he really washed up as many think here?? I remember thinking the same thing about Ortiz a few years ago and he came back nicely. I think 3 years of Howard at $30 mil would be a bargain if he stays healthy and starts putting up big numbers. Is it a gamble? Of course, but we gambled on Cruz and won.

--Put Howard in this lineup and it could get very dynamic, especially if Davis rebounds and Wieters is recovered and Manny is Manny again.

Okay guys go to it and Happy Holidays:thumbsup1:

If Charlie Manuel gets the hitting coach job he might push for Howard.

Some random thoughts and this will do it for me on the subject:

-- Don't feel we can count on Davis having a big year off of what we saw last season. Too many are now hanging their hats on him; I wouldn't.

-- Howard's 190 ks concern me and yes he hits in a nice park but at 34 is he really washed up as many think here?? I remember thinking the same thing about Ortiz a few years ago and he came back nicely. I think 3 years of Howard at $30 mil would be a bargain if he stays healthy and starts putting up big numbers. Is it a gamble? Of course, but we gambled on Cruz and won.

--Put Howard in this lineup and it could get very dynamic, especially if Davis rebounds and Wieters is recovered and Manny is Manny again.

Okay guys go to it and Happy Holidays:thumbsup1:

I am tired of hearing this reasoning. Does anyone really think 1/$8M was that big of a gamble? He was offered much more than that early in the offseason and misjudged his market. Besides, the deal was for just a single year, that's different than three years of Howard.

If our team was different and hungry for power, maybe I think about bringing in Howard for the right price, but that's not the case. Like others have said, I'm okay with Byrd because it's a one year deal, but just say no to Howard.

I am tired of hearing this reasoning. Does anyone really think 1/$8M was that big of a gamble? He was offered much more than that early in the offseason and misjudged his market. Besides, the deal was for just a single year, that's different than three years of Howard.

If our team was different and hungry for power, maybe I think about bringing in Howard for the right price, but that's not the case. Like others have said, I'm okay with Byrd because it's a one year deal, but just say no to Howard.

Excellent post. You are using your head here.

And if you can get Howard at 2 years 10m it's not a big gamble either.

You mean five million a year? SOLD. I'll try to get two good months out of him and flip him.

Nah keep him 5m for a guy that will hit 25hr is a steal.

Archived