My absurd, overly optimistic overreation to a radio interview

Carllamy

I heard Buck Showalter on a radio interview today on 105.7 the Fan.

When asked about who will be the right fielder for the O's Buck responded that Steve Pierce could play there, and that Dariel Alvarez is someone who could put himself in the picture to play there, or that it could be someone that the Orioles haven't TRADED FOR (emphasis put on these words by me) yet.

All I could think was AHA! he didn't say it was a possible free agent that we could sign, a la Colby Rasmus, but specifically said "traded" for.

I'm going to take this opportunity to overreact and say that Buck let it slip, that the O's are working on a trade about which prospects they feel good, and that before the season starts we will be happy for the right fielder that the O's TRADED for!

I heard Buck Showalter on a radio interview today on 105.7 the Fan.

When asked about who will be the right fielder for the O's Buck responded that Steve Pierce could play there, and that Dariel Alvarez is someone who could put himself in the picture to play there, or that it could be someone that the Orioles haven't TRADED FOR (emphasis put on these words by me) yet.

All I could think was AHA! he didn't say it was a possible free agent that we could sign, a la Colby Rasmus, but specifically said "traded" for.

I'm going to take this opportunity to overreact and say that Buck let it slip, that the O's are working on a trade about which prospects they feel good, and that before the season starts we will be happy for the right fielder that the O's TRADED for!

I think you're on to something.

If it does one thing it shows that Buck probably isnt any happier than we are about the off season and what he currently has to work with.

I really believe that Duquette and Showalter have developed a framework for how they want to build this team. I think it has taken a tremendous amount of discipline on their part to stay within the parameters they have set. Their commitment to that framework is incredibly frustrating for us. We see guys that were available, that we're convinced were the answers to our problems and yet Duquette and Buck let them get away. I just have to trust that these guys know what they're doing and remain patient. Drives me crazy.

I thought from the first time Duquette said they'll be focusing on the FA market that something seemed fishy. very rarely is he forthright publicly about his strategy and he even dropped Melkys name in one interview. Almost like he was trying to lead those listening in a direction that he did not intend to go and I don't think it was the fans that he was trying to dupe. Probably just me being a weirdo. Anyways, I think it's either a trade or a below market FA signing.

Archived