Nori Aoki off the Market

Greg

I heard interview with Braves GM, and I am convinced some organizations are better than others at evaluating intangibles of a player, especially a pros pro like Nick. Everyday player, pencil him in. Not a part timer who cannot hit lefties. And a gold glover to boot.

Nick Markakis has not hit lefties well in recent years. We'll see how well that contract works out, I have a feeling it will be even worse than his first one.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard interview with Braves GM, and I am convinced some organizations are better than others at evaluating intangibles of a player, especially a pros pro like Nick. Everyday player, pencil him in. Not a part timer who cannot hit lefties. And a gold glover to boot.

Are you saying you think Markakis is defensively superior to Lough?

I'm talking about two similar players in Aoki and Lough. Rios got 11 million because power is at a premium now without PEDs. They had a few guys with Aoki's skill set. So he was expendable. However we need obp and a leadoff type guy. I hope Lough is a starter for 16-19. But with us being so close and then having so many FA's I'd rather have a guy like Aoki than Lough. As of now are options are Lough playing everyday. Pearce playing everyday and young playing everyday. All three are highly likely to fail when over exposed.

And I don't really see anyone left on the FA market that would help our OBP and situational hitting. Not really feeling Rasmus because he is too similar to what we already have.

Alex Rios had 4 HR in 592 PA last season.

Nick Markakis has not hit lefties well in recent years. We'll see how well that contract works out, I have a feeling it will be even worse than his first one.

Actually, Markakis has a higher BA vs lefties than he does vs right handlers for each of the past 3 seasons.

Actually' date=' Markakis has a higher BA vs lefties than he does vs right handlers for each of the past 3 seasons.[/quote']

And in the last two seasons his slugging has been significantly higher against RHP which leads to a better OPS versus right handed pitching.

My guess is Baby was going by OPS not BA.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Nick Markakis, 2012-2014: .279 AVG, .342 OBP, .396 SLG

Norichika Aoki, 2012-2014: .287 AVG, .353 OBP, .387 SLG

One got $44M. One got $4M.</p>— Aaron Gleeman (@AaronGleeman) <a href="

">January 16, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That is a lot to pay for intangibles.

Archived