Nori Aoki off the Market

Greg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so we'd have a real lead off hitter? He's basically Markakis (but with more speed) but would be at 1/3 what we paid him last year.

Alejandro De Aza is perfectly capable of batting leadoff.

And just for the record:

Aoki 2014- .709 OPS, 1 rWAR

Lough 2014- .694 OPS, 1.6 rWAR

Lough is both younger and a better defender than Aoki.

Alejandro De Aza is perfectly capable of batting leadoff.

And just for the record:

Aoki 2014- .709 OPS, 1 rWAR

Lough 2014- .694 OPS, 1.6 rWAR

Lough is both younger and a better defender than Aoki.

That's heavily relying on defensive metrics. That aren't an exact science. Lough isn't a good base stealer and isn't the offensive player that Aoki is. I really like Lough as a 4th OF this year and could be a starter in 2016 if he earns it. But the Royals had David Lough in 2013. They traded him in the offseason, and traded for Aoki. If that tells you anything. Aoki is a much better situational hitter than Lough.

The part I don't get is why Atlanta signed him? You blow your team up and sign a 31 year old coming off neck surgery.

I heard interview with Braves GM, and I am convinced some organizations are better than others at evaluating intangibles of a player, especially a pros pro like Nick. Everyday player, pencil him in. Not a part timer who cannot hit lefties. And a gold glover to boot.

And let Aoki walk, and spent 11M for one year of Alex Rios, if that tells you anything.

I'm talking about two similar players in Aoki and Lough. Rios got 11 million because power is at a premium now without PEDs. They had a few guys with Aoki's skill set. So he was expendable. However we need obp and a leadoff type guy. I hope Lough is a starter for 16-19. But with us being so close and then having so many FA's I'd rather have a guy like Aoki than Lough. As of now are options are Lough playing everyday. Pearce playing everyday and young playing everyday. All three are highly likely to fail when over exposed.

And I don't really see anyone left on the FA market that would help our OBP and situational hitting. Not really feeling Rasmus because he is too similar to what we already have.

Archived