Fanfest: awkward!

Frobby

If Dan shows up at fan fest' date=' I hope Oriole fans give him hell. I would ask him straight forward questions and I would not stop asking them until he answers them. The longer this situation drags on the more respect I lose for Dan.[/quote']

I don't see it that way. He would like to take the Toronto job. It is not in his or the Orioles' interest for him to state that publicly. So he has two alternatives: lie, or say nothing substantive. The latter course is the wisest.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure he will dance around the question eventually leading to no comment and pump up our latest extra extra extra depth signing.

fans: Dan what is the deal with Toronto?

Dan: Well I can tell you Baltimore is a great city I love the crabs. But Toronto has free health care, but I am committed to Baltimore but have no comment on the situation.

Fans: So... no comment?

Dan: *Awkward pause* Let me tell you about this kid we signed out of the Mexican Penal League, he had a high OBP with them in 30 games and an even higher OBP during night games when the temperature was above 85 degrees. Oh he is also a catcher.

I don't see it that way. He would like to take the Toronto job. It is not in his or the Orioles' interest for him to state that publicly. So he has two alternatives: lie, or say nothing substantive. The latter course is the wisest.

I think he's going to do a filibuster. It's risky but could work.

What is the Toronto Job? I have heard CEO, or President or President of Baseball Operation. They are different jobs especially considering that Beeston manages the Rogers Center. I don't know and I wonder if Dan knows what the Toronto Job really entails.

Anyone else think it's going to be more than a little awkward at Fanfest if and when Dan and Buck get on stage for their fan forums? The biggest story for the O's this winter has been the Jays/Duquette dalliance, and while Dan can give a no comment to Roch Kubatko or Dan Connolly, that's pretty hard to do for a room full of diehard O's fans. And based on every other Fanfest I've attended, half the "questions" from the audience will be preceded by a little speech by whoever has been selected to speak. And even those who don't ask Dan about the Blue Jays are going to be asking why the O's let several of their free agents go and didn't replace them.

I'm seriously wondering if Dan and the O's will find some excuse why Dan can't be at this event.

As a side note, I won't be able to attend Fanfest this year. I kind of feel it might not be a bad year to miss it, though, because of how awkward it could be.

I don't find the fanfest all that entertaining. If people badger DD and he refuses to answer that would at least be interesting.

My thought is he made his bed he can lie in it.

I can't believe this fiasco is going to go on for 10 more days until Fanfest.

"If Duquette winds up staying, he is going to need to sit in front of the Baltimore media at a press conference and explain to fans what happened, how he can renew his commitment to the Orioles and put any questions about potential divided loyalties behind him for good.

Maybe it has gotten too late for that. If anyone inside the warehouse is questioning Duquette's effectiveness for the club, it is no wonder that fans are doing the same."

- Steve Melewski, MASN

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2015/01/notes-on-rasmus-bundy-and-duquette.html

"If Duquette winds up staying, he is going to need to sit in front of the Baltimore media at a press conference and explain to fans what happened, how he can renew his commitment to the Orioles and put any questions about potential divided loyalties behind him for good.

Maybe it has gotten too late for that. If anyone inside the warehouse is questioning Duquette's effectiveness for the club, it is no wonder that fans are doing the same."

- Steve Melewski, MASN

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2015/01/notes-on-rasmus-bundy-and-duquette.html

Maybe Pete and Dan can renew their vows.

Anyone else think it's going to be more than a little awkward at Fanfest if and when Dan and Buck get on stage for their fan forums? The biggest story for the O's this winter has been the Jays/Duquette dalliance, and while Dan can give a no comment to Roch Kubatko or Dan Connolly, that's pretty hard to do for a room full of diehard O's fans. And based on every other Fanfest I've attended, half the "questions" from the audience will be preceded by a little speech by whoever has been selected to speak. And even those who don't ask Dan about the Blue Jays are going to be asking why the O's let several of their free agents go and didn't replace them.

I'm seriously wondering if Dan and the O's will find some excuse why Dan can't be at this event.

As a side note, I won't be able to attend Fanfest this year since Nicky won't be there. I kind of feel it might not be a bad year to miss it, though, because of how awkward it could be.

FTFY

Dang! Will miss your on the scene reports! Have to suffer through weams and his lady....;)

What is the Toronto Job? I have heard CEO, or President or President of Baseball Operation. They are different jobs especially considering that Beeston manages the Rogers Center. I don't know and I wonder if Dan knows what the Toronto Job really entails.

I have been wondering the same thing. That's why job interviews exist....so that everyone is on the same page about what the job involves and to explore whether the person is a good fit for that job. As far as I can tell, the Blue Jays haven't even formally said that a job (whatever it is) is available yet, let alone talked with Dan about it. This whole affair is strange.

I have been wondering the same thing. That's why job interviews exist....so that everyone is on the same page about what the job involves and to explore whether the person is a good fit for that job. As far as I can tell, the Blue Jays haven't even formally said that a job (whatever it is) is available yet, let alone talked with Dan about it. This whole affair is strange.

What If they interview him and then don't hire him?

Archived