Jones .781

Pearce .768

Reimold .762

Young .742

De Aza .733

Snider .716

Lough .701

Parades .609 (Minors .751)

By career OPS it looks like Reimold is our 3rd best offensive outfielder. When you consider that he is healthy and a good number of his career ABs were put up when he was less than 100%, he is probably on par with Pearce and Jones offensively. This is probably not true for any of the other outfield candidates. Offensively Reimold is probably considerably better than De Aza, Snider, Lough and Parades.

Considering keeping Parades rather than Reimold when you look at career numbers is almost laughable. Parades just does not have a history of being a strong offensive player. He was very good for 50+ ABs last year and for 50+ ABs this spring, but his career stats strongly suggest this was just a fluke. His fielding is not going to win him positions either. Losing Parades if we try to send him down, IMO is not that big of an issue. We got him to replace Manny when Manny was hurt. Manny is healthy and we have lots of options there now.

Reimold is a very good baserunner. He probably is one of the fastest players on the team. He also is one of the strongest, and could be expected to put up some respectable power numbers. He is very good at getting on base (a talent needed on this team). The man hustles, and that along with his speed leads to his many infield hits. His hustling probably also contributed to his two major injuries (IMO probably hurt his Achilles while bursting out of the batters box) and diving into the stands (Neck injury) that have led to most of his time on the DL and in recovery.

His offensive abilities and potential along with his great hustle and a career spent in the Os system are the main reasons he has so many people pulling for him.

Reimold has a few problems.

1. He is not on the 40 man rooster

2. If he plays the whole season on the ML roster, he will be a free agent next year. He only needs to be down for a couple of weeks so that he won’t be eligible to be a free agent at the end of the year (it is based on days on the active roster over his career)

3. Once he is up (on the ML rooster he can’t be sent down without passing through waivers and if he is playing well, he will be claimed).

4. His defense is questionable and certainly not on par with that for Lough and De Aza.

5. He is not a lefty in the batters box.

5. Can he stay healthy?

If the opening day decision was based solely on who are the best 25 players on opening day, Reimold should be on the team (IMO). However, the decision will probably consider his 40 man rooster status, that of others, and his free agent status at the end of the year. I expect to see him start in AAA.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a "rabble rouser" myself - I ask, "Bbbbbbbbut what about BABI freakin P"? :scratchchinhmm: Isn't the answer "hidden" somewhere in that lowly stat? If so, my fellow rabblers will "git on board"! :slytf:

N.B. Most of we rabble only care about B.A. but are coming around to BABIP

I said rabble not babble.

Looking at career OPS for our outfielders:

Player OPS

Jones .781

Pearce .768

Reimold .762

Young .742

De Aza .733

Snider .716

Lough .701

By career OPS it looks like Reimold is our 3rd best offensive outfielder. When you consider that he is healthy and a good number of his career ABs were put up when he was less than 100%, he is probably on par with Pearce and Jones offensively. This is probably not true for any of the other outfield candidates. Offensively Reimold is probably considerably better than De Aza, Snider, Lough and Parades.

Considering keeping Parades rather than Reimold when you look at career numbers is almost laughable. Parades just does not have a history of being a strong offensive player. He was very good for 50+ ABs last year and for 50+ ABs this spring, but his career stats strongly suggest this was just a fluke. His fielding is not going to win him positions either. Losing Parades if we try to send him down, IMO is not that big of an issue. We got him to replace Manny when Manny was hurt. Manny is healthy and we have lots of options there now.

Reimold is a very good baserunner. He probably is one of the fastest players on the team. He also is one of the strongest, and could be expected to put up some respectable power numbers. He is very good at getting on base (a talent needed on this team). The man hustles, and that along with his speed leads to his many infield hits. His hustling probably also contributed to his two major injuries (IMO probably hurt his Achilles while bursting out of the batters box) and diving into the stands (Neck injury) that have led to most of his time on the DL and in recovery.

His offensive abilities and potential along with his great hustle and a career spent in the Os system are the main reasons he has so many people pulling for him.

Reimold has a few problems.

1. He is not on the 40 man rooster

2. If he plays the whole season on the ML roster, he will be a free agent next year. He only needs to be down for a couple of weeks so that he won’t be eligible to be a free agent at the end of the year (it is based on days on the active roster over his career)

3. Once he is up (on the ML rooster he can’t be sent down without passing through waivers and if he is playing well, he will be claimed).

4. His defense is questionable and certainly not on par with that for Lough and De Aza.

5. He is not a lefty in the batters box.

5. Can he stay healthy?

If the opening day decision was based solely on who are the best 25 players on opening day, Reimold should be on the team (IMO). However, the decision will probably consider his 40 man rooster status, that of others, and his free agent status at the end of the year. I expect to see him start in AAA.

All excellent reasons to keep him in Norfolk until he is needed. Do we really need him now?

Looking at career OPS for our outfielders:

Player OPS

Jones .781

Pearce .768

Reimold .762

Young .742

De Aza .733

Snider .716

Lough .701

Reimold's OPS numbers look better because he hasn't played very much in the last three years when offense in MLB has declined across the board. If you look at OPS+, it gives a better picture in comparing Reimold to his peers. Reimold (103 OPS+) is in fact much closer to De Aza (100 OPS+) and Young (99 OPS+) than he is to Pearce (109 OPS+) or Jones (110 OPS+)

I agree with this.

First of all, Reimold will very likely not be commanding lots of money when he is eligible for free agency.

Secondly, if Reimold has an ounce of gratitude in him, he will understand that it has been THE ORIOLES that have been sticking with him through all of his injuries/adversity, including this season ...... hence, even if he does have a good full (or almost full) season, he really ought to lean towards playing ball with Duquette and company first and foremost when future contract negotiations come up.

If he is playing well now, and you think that it is best for the team to have him on the roster, play him now, and ask questions later.

This is just ridiculous to expect this of Nolan or even to bring it up. How about when he was clearly the best left fielder we had in the Spring of 2009 but was sent down for Pie and then Montanez? Let's not act like the Orioles have always had Nolan's best interest in mind here. Both sides should do what is best for them.

I like Nolan. I hope he's with the team at some point this season. But it makes sense to send him down for now.

This is just ridiculous to expect this of Nolan or even to bring it up. How about when he was clearly the best left fielder we had in the Spring of 2009 but was sent down for Pie and then Montanez? Let's not act like the Orioles have always had Nolan's best interest in mind here. Both sides should do what is best for them.

I like Nolan. I hope he's with the team at some point this season. But it makes sense to send him down for now.

Don't forget last season when they, you know, gave him away to the Blue Jays.

Thankfully, 2009 FO, isn't the 2015 Oriole FO.

I agree with this.

First of all, Reimold will very likely not be commanding lots of money when he is eligible for free agency.

Secondly, if Reimold has an ounce of gratitude in him, he will understand that it has been THE ORIOLES that have been sticking with him through all of his injuries/adversity, including this season ...... hence, even if he does have a good full (or almost full) season, he really ought to lean towards playing ball with Duquette and company first and foremost when future contract negotiations come up.

If he is playing well now, and you think that it is best for the team to have him on the roster, play him now, and ask questions later.

You're right about what happened in 2009.

But since then, I believe that the Orioles have given Reimold numerous chances and/or chosen not to simply cut their losses with a player that has been chronically injured.

The minor league contract and Spring Training invite that we offered him this season in particular shows that the Orioles have a faith in Reimold's potential that most (if not all) other major league teams do not have, IMRAOAO.

You're right about what happened in 2009.

But since then, I believe that the Orioles have given Reimold numerous chances and/or chosen not to simply cut their losses with a player that has been chronically injured.

The minor league contract and Spring Training invite that we offered him this season in particular shows that the Orioles have a faith in Reimold's potential that most (if not all) other major league teams do not have, IMRAOAO.

I have no idea what this is, but I'm stealing it! lol

I thought its because we have Brady 'side burns' Anderson and no one else does

Hey I might be right after all! LOL

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Paredes is dealing w low back strain. Could be DL. Buck said it could help Reimold, team could also go 13 pitchers</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">April 3, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That wouldn't be a smart move since they couldn't send Reimold down once Paredes was healthy.

Details on Nolan's "opt out":

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-looking-into-reimolds-opt-out-in-july-20150404-story.html?track=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

It is not an opt out in the traditional sense. If Reimold is not on the 25-man roster on July 11th, the O's have to send an email to the 29 other teams to gauge their interest in him. If one or more teams are interested in adding Reimold to their 25-man roster, the O's must either add him to their roster OR assign him to an interested team. Encina speculates that the assignment would amount to a cash deal. If no team responds with any interest within 24 hours, than the Orioles can keep Reimold in the minors.

He cannot really opt out, he can only be traded if other teams are interested it appears.

Archived