Are the Orioles overrating Alvarez?

purple@orange

He has been better since he recovered from his injury? It is a unusual thing, but not suspicious to me. During the PED era it was much more common to see velocity return or even increase. Not often now.

It could be a health issue, could be a fitness issue, maybe his body responds better to 95 pitches every 5 days then 130 every 7?

I certainly wasn't accusing anyone of anything.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he had talent worth talking about, he would've dominated a league in which he was older than pretty much everyone. He didn't.

You were responding to connja who said he wasn't one of the 5 year $60 million guys. I thought it sounded like you said if you don't spend that much they're no good.

If I read it wrong I apologize.

Well, even though I said I think everything Dan and Buck say about prospects must be taken with a grain of salt, Roch seems to be buying into the hype:

Dariel Alvarez: I'd fly down to Florida just to watch him make throws from right field. Showalter wonders why Alvarez doesn't appear on more top prospect lists. The Orioles view him as one of the best-kept secrets in the minors.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/02/which-orioles-bring-the-most-spring-curiosity.html

Archived